Polish AKM 6H3 Type I with Unusual markings?

Polish AK bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Polish AKM 6H3 Type I with Unusual markings?

Post by Mr. B. »

I noticed this picture on line a few days ago. Has anyone seen anything like this and or have any idea what the markings are? M.
18057099_1850794145186195_2026231630874844119_n.jpg
norrick

Re: Polish AKM 6H3 Type I with Unusual markings?

Post by norrick »

I'm interested in Polish bayos but never seen these markings tho.
Could be associated with this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JW_Komandos%C3%B3w
штык?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree that it seems to be associated with the Polish Special forces. However the bayonet and the markings seem to be contradictive to me. The "WP" is similar to the marking used on Polish bayonets before 1940 under the old regime. The "WP" was for Wojsko Polskie (Polish Army). That marking was not used during the German occupation 1940 -1946 or the communist regime from 1946-1989. This bayonet is an AKM 6H3 Type I which manufactured and issued in Poland from 1968 to 1972 before being replaced by the AKM 6H4 Type II in 1972.
The link above indicates the "JW" (Jednostka Wojskowa = Military Unit) or Polish Special Forces were created in 1961 and became the "JWK", (Komandosow = Commando) in 1995. There is also a reference to a JWK special 56 man company that was formed and served in Iraq from 2003 to 2008. This unit is identified in references as the "56KS". There is some disagreement as to whether the "KS" stands for Specjalny Komandosów (Special Commandos) or Kompania Specjalne (Special Company).
There is also a reference to a special anti-terrorist unit GROM which was formed in 1990 which is noted as recruiting from the 56 KS (Kompania Specjalne = Special Company). Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JW_GROM
Regardless the 56KS company would probably not be issued or using the old AKM 6H3 Type 1 bayonets from 2007 to 2008.
I guess the real question is, are the markings authentic and was this bayonet actually made for or issued to a special unit? Or was it made up at a later time as a commemorative item for a soldier or unit? M.
norrick

Post by norrick »

I get the same vibes as with that Israeli special forces bayonet lol. Would be interesting to know more though.
штык?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Well, the young Polish guy who owns it claims to know the soldier who owned it (provenance?) and is also not trying to sell it, so it does tick 2 of the boxes you would normally want ticked. Not sure myself, but it does have a chance imho.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree. I do not believe it's a fake to deceive or sell or make money. If it were, the originator would have probably used a relative cheap and available new or newer polish AKM 6H4 Type II bayonet and matching scabbard. Also probably used more recognizable special forces markings as well. I have corresponded with the owner and tried to sort out what it is. IMHO it is an original issued and used military bayonet with a serial number which was later engraved. I do believe it was engraved as a commemorative or keepsake item for presentation to an individual or group. It would be interesting to know the meaning of the engraving and it's purpose. M.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

My best guess as to the meaning of the engraving on the blade ricasso is the following.

PW = Polish Army (military)
JW = Army Unit (special forces)
56KS = 56-member Special Company (deployed to Iraq 2003-2007)

This engraving on a used, surplus, obsolete military issued bayonet was probably done sometime after 1967 as a tribute or commemorative to a member or members of this Special Company in honor of their service. Perhaps a one of a kind item. M.