Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II Scabbard Variations

Yugoslavian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II Scabbard Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

I have been doing some research on the Yugoslavian AKM bayonets and scabbards recently. I thought I would share some observations. I have found three distinct scabbard variations. This, to me, is the first variation of scabbard and the earliest one. It's one of the first AK bayonets I acquired back in the late 1980s - early 1990s. At this time not much was known about them and there where no reference materials. It was acquired in Yugoslavia without a strap or hanger and with the insulator pulled down over the stop. I moved the insulator to the correct position which left the "bump" in the insulator. I later added the generic strap and hanger to be able to hang and display the bayonet.

This early scabbard is a Type I all metal wire cutter style with a stamped cutter plate. There are no markings of any kind and it doesn't seem to match up with the Type I scabbards from any other ComBloc country. It has a heavy textured Parkerized type finish, The insulator is also unmarked and a more hard, shinny finish than most. I am unsure if this scabbard was actually made in Yugoslavia or imported from another source. It could be from the first production before the Type II scabbard was developed or simply a replacement at some point. The bayonet is a low number with 5 digits. Mike
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II Scabbard Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

The next scabbard variation, in my opinion, is the early Type II version. I think it was early because most seem to be numbered with the 5 digit and low 6 digit numbers. Also they appear older from the general use they display. They also have the following distinctive features. They are of a hard plastic type material with a shinny appearance, (note the chips and scratches). They have no markings other than the issue numbers and there is a small rectangular mark on the front between the ribs. The cutter plate pivot weld is ground smooth. There is a smooth transition between the scabbard body and the cutter plate on the front. Also missing are the etched inspection marks found on the cutter plate and blade of the later bayonets and scabbards. Mike
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I believe this is the third and final variation of the Yugo scabbards. They all seem to have higher 6 digit numbers than the previous variations and also include the "R Code" ones as well. They appear to have been molded of a different material and have a more textured, matte finish. They have a mold mark, (1 & 2 observed) on the upper back between the ribs. The molded rectangular mark is absent on the front, but small circular marks are found on the back between the ribs. The cutter plate pivot weld is left protruding/unground. The transition from the scabbard body to the cutter plate on the front is stepped. These later bayonets and scabbards all seem to have a matching etched inspection mark on the front of the cutter plate and the blade. Mike
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a close-up of the mold numbers from the previous post. Mike
IMG_0034.JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Mr. B. wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 pm I have been doing some research on the Yugoslavian AKM bayonets and scabbards recently...
The scabbard looks quite commercial to Hungary M.63.
The should have a square hole in the bottom.

The Yugoslav M.70e first Scabbard should look like this.

Gerhard
Attachments
jugo skabard (1).JPG
Scheide m (1) - Kopie.JPG
NICO56

Post by NICO56 »

Today I received an M70 bayonet with 4 digit numbers. According to the seller, she was brought back from Iraq.
Attachments
IMG_20200618_184449.jpg
IMG_20200618_184503.jpg
IMG_20200618_184443.jpg
NICO56

Post by NICO56 »

Note the rectangle on the scabbard.
Attachments
IMG_20200618_185307.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very interesting early version. I have heard of 3 and 4 digit numbers but have only seen 5 and 6 digit ones. Mike
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

mill_speer wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:33 am
Mr. B. wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 pm I have been doing some research on the Yugoslavian AKM bayonets and scabbards recently...
The scabbard looks quite commercial to Hungary M.63.
The should have a square hole in the bottom.

The Yugoslav M.70e first Scabbard should look like this.

Gerhard
I never knew this!
You guys are a treasure trove of AK bayo knowledge!