East German AKM 6X3 Type II Modified Scabbard

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AKM 6X3 Type II Modified Scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

The modified East German AKM Type II scabbard pictured below can be used with either 6X3 Type I or 6X4 Type II bayonets. It has been ground off on one side near the top to allow the bayonet to be mounted on an AKM with the scabbard in place. This modification can be found in a couple of references and appears to be "official". It appears to have been done as a field or unit modification. Again there are different opinions for this modification. Some believe it was done for border guard units. Others feel it was done for parade or, color guard units, to prevent snagging the bayonet point on flags. Yet another opinion is that they were used for bayonet practice. Note that the leather hanger can be left attached to retain the scabbard on the rifle. M.
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0109.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
MDIvie

Re: East German AKM 6X3 Type II Modified Scabbard

Post by MDIvie »

Another interesting modification. I would not pay extra for this or the grip modification without some solid provenance (paper work and pictures) because this is too easily faked.

I believe I have a picture somewhere with a DDR honor guard with the scabbard on the bayonet on the rifle. I will try to dig it out and post if I find it.

I lost my computer a few weeks ago and have not yet fully recovered.

MDI
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

You too ??? My PC crashed last week, (hard drive failure). I am on a borrowed backup PC and my cell with no access to my picture and reference files.

I picked up both the modified pommel and scabbard at a local gun show. They were in the bottom of a box of "Good" used E.G. bayonets from a pretty much junk surplus dealer. He was selling the bayonets and w/scabbards for $25.00. I when through the 10-15 that were left looking for something different or a bargain. Most were mismatched numbers and had lots of wear and minor damage. The modified ones were not together. The dealer remarked that the bayonets and scabbard had been switched around as customers wanted the nicest looking ones. I pointed out the grinding damage on the modified ones. He let me combine them and I paid $15.00 for them. I remembered seeing the modifications in various pictures and references and bought them as representative samples. No provenance and mismatched, but out of a box/group of used E.G. bayonets. Note the condition and wear on them, I just wiped them off and left them as I found them. not up to my usual condition standards. I don't usually pay much attention to easily faked "modified" items. However these mods reminded me of the modified grip panels on the E.G. AK47 bayonets which are a accepted as an official mod. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A friend in Germany recently sent me these pictures of an East German, (DDR), AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet with a Type II scabbard. It had been posted on a German auction site. The scabbard has been modified by removing material at the top of the scabbard body. This allows the bayonet with the scabbard attached to be mounted on a rifle. Not real provenance, but maybe more evidence they exist.
MIke
DDR 6X3 with modified scabbard 1.jpg
DDR 6X3 with modified scabbard 3.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Another picture of the bayonet and scabbard above. If you look closely, a hand etched serial number can be seen on the left side of the cross guard, MX4537 ? This appears to be a rework / reissue number. That plus the re-sharpened blade edge and the modified scabbard. Could this also be a Border Guard bayonet? Any thoughts or opinions?
Mike
DDR 6X3 with modified scabbard 2 (2).jpg
DDR 6X3 with modified scabbard 2 (2).jpg (34.05 KiB) Viewed 2519 times