East German AKM Type i and II Hangers

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AKM Type i and II Hangers

Post by Mr. B. »

I believe this to be the earliest style of hanger used on the E.G. AKM Type I bayonet and scabbard. When they started production they used parts from Russia and other places to complete the bayonets. It appears that they did the same with the scabbards and hangers. The earliest hangers were the same two piece style with two snap hooks as used by Russia, Hungary, Romania etc.. The first ones may have ben supplied by other countries as either complete items or as parts assembled in DDR. I have seen pictures of early bayonets with hangers using small snap hook that are very similar to the Hungarian and Russian items. (1st picture is Hungarian for comparison) Later versions I believe to have been made E.G.. The leather is different in finish, The stud is black and the hooks are distinctly E.G. with the groove in the back. The metal parts/rivets could have been imported, but seems to have an E.G. finish. My theory is either made or completed in E.G.. The next two pictures are of the oldest Type I in my collection. Note the wrist strap is also tan leather with two buckles. Mike
IMG_0148.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0147.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM Type i and II Hangers

Post by Mr. B. »

The next step in the AKM Type I hanger seems to be a natural tan leather single hook style. These hangers can be identified by the flat metal hook ring and the typical E.G. style hook with the groove in the back. Most of these hangers are accompanied with a grey/green woven fabric wrist strap, however a few can be found with a leather one with one buckle and a small riveted loop on one end.

During this time period the East Germans also made a similar hanger made of a laminated synthetic vinyl material instead of leather. The hanger has a fine grained grey exterior and a smooth grey interior surface. This hanger is dated by the use of a flat hook ring as well as the usual E.G. grooved snap hook.

Picture of each and a vinyl one and newer style leather one together for comparison. Mike
IMG_0149.JPG
IMG_0150.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The final and most common East German AKM Type I hanger is a single hook style. It has smooth faced grey leather exterior with a rough natural tan interior. The hook ring is now a larger one made of round wire vs the older stamped flat washer style. The black stud and the grooved hook are still typical E.G.

It appears that with the introduction of the AKM Type II bayonets a new hanger was designed. It is the same as the previous Type I hanger, but the grey leather belt loop has been lengthened. This change over may not have happened at the same time as the introduction of the Type two and the different hangers cane be found on both. Remember the hanger and strap are easily switched around and do not necessarily identify or age a bayonet and/or scabbard.

Pictures of both short and long styles and both together for comparison. Mike
IMG_0155.JPG
IMG_0156.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0158.JPG
IMG_0159.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

In regards to the last picture. Has anyone else noticed differences in the East German,(DDR), snap hooks? To the best of my knowledge only the DDR used the ones with the groove in the back. I assumed they were all the same, but noticed differences between most of the short vs long hangers. The newer long hangers have hooks with a flat tip and a shorted pressed groove. Revised version or maybe just different production/suppliers? Mike
IMG_0019.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is some additional information concerning the change over point from the short gray hanger to the final longer one. The change appears to have been simultaneously with the introduction of AKM 6X4 Type II bayonets starting with orange grips and continuing with the black grips and transition to the AK74 models. At this same time the field gear belt was being changed from a narrow gray fabric belt to a much wider green belt. The short hanger will not fit on the new green belt. The longer one does. Both are pictured below new green belt. Mike
IMG_0020.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Recently a member here posted a reference on the Forum about a different variation of the common short grey leather snap hook hanger. He mention that this variation was somewhat rare. I did some searching and came up with this addition to my collection. The most noticeable difference is that the rivets are hollow on the inside. It may just be a coincidence. But the finish on the metal parts also seems to have slight brass/copper tint. This is especially noticeable on the “D” ring and the snap hook. Maybe Gerhard could shed some light on what this variation is all about? Mike
BCDBE540-2074-4796-A79F-4AD0F9397B98.jpeg
60C04588-3A14-4EAB-A8AB-9CAE11444E29.jpeg
8C6EC994-6D07-4987-AACB-4C7127BA133A.jpeg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

As a side note, I found this unusual hanger in a strange place. I have been checking all the East German 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards trying to find one. To at least have pictures to post or one to acquire. I finally found this one in one of my drawers. Not on a German bayonet, but one we call a “Vietnamese” bayonet attached to a new E.G. scabbard. I had never thought about looking there, had one all along. Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

These hangers were only produced in 1968.
This can only be proven with replacement scabbards and replacement bayonets in packaging. It is not 100% possible to date Ak-bayonets that have been issued since they could have been exchanged with other carrying devices from the most varied of production times.
According to the manufacturing standard, the half-round rings should be made of steel material C45 and galvanized. They didn't take it very seriously with the galvanizing because almost all half-round rings have a yellow cadmium-plated coating when not in use, which rubs off with regular use and shows a galvanized finish?
It is strange that this D-ring has a brass/copper engraving, I don't think that expensive non-ferrous metal was used for this or that the ring was replaced.
It doesn't surprise me that this hanger is on a "Vietnamese" bayonet, since the "Vietnamese" was made on a private basis for these masses of existing replacement sheaths for better commercial use.

Mike, please test the ring to see if one is magnetic.
G.
Attachments
D-Ring.jpg
M.59 scheide 1968 81 (3).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Gerhard,
I tested all the metal parts of both hangers pictured above with a magnet They all seemed to create the same magnetic attraction. I do not have a gauge, but the attraction felt the same. Definitely not brass, copper or alloy. My guess is C54 steel with a finish or coating as you suggested. Possibly darkened with age exposure. It looks unique, so I will not try to remove it. Thanks for sharing the information. Always something new to learn! Cheers, Mike