East German AKM Type I early version.

German and DDR AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

East German AKM Type I early version.

Post by Mr. B. »

The East German, DDR, AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards have few variations. There are some small variations between late and early versions. the most noticeable are the hangers and straps. The earliest hangers are a two piece two hook style with natural tan leather. These are similar to the Hungarian and early Russian ones. Mine has the E.G style snap hooks, but I have also seen them with the smaller Hungarian hooks. The wrist straps are the two buckle style with tan leather, again similar to the Hungarian and early Russian ones. These straps and hangers and/or parts may have been supplied by other countries or produced or assembled in the DDR.

Another difference I have noticed are the mold marks on the rubber insulators. I have seen some early versions with no mold marks, perhaps supplied by other countries. My early model has the usual 5998, but without the dot found on later versions.

The only real non-accessory difference is in the top of the scabbard cutter plate pivot. The earliest version has a flat top. This made assembling the bayonet and scabbard to use as a wire cutter somewhat difficult under field conditions. Later versions left the pivot top rounded and beveled to ease attachment. the early versions hard difficult to find as the old style was replaced during inspection and rework. Mike
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: East German AKM Type I early version.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some close ups of the differences between early and late versions of the DDR Type I scabbards. Pictures compare the early one on the left and a later version on the right. Mike
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the next step in the East German, DDR, AKM 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard. The bayonet and scabbard remain pretty much the same but the hanger is now a common one piece, one hook natural tan leather one. Again similar to the Russian style, but with the unique groove snap hook. The earliest of these hangers have a flat hook loop where as the later ones have a rounded wire loop. I have seen these hangers used with the early two buckle tan leather wrist strap and others, possible later ones with the common grey/green fabric ones like mine. Remember, these replaceable parts can be found in any combination and attributed to replacement due to inspections and rework or exchange at any point. Mike
IMG_0009.JPG
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
ilian

Post by ilian »

Nice bayonets, i love those EG frogs!