Russian 6X5 straps, hangers and etc

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

rogueX18

Russian 6X5 straps, hangers and etc

Post by rogueX18 »

For the 6x5 bayonet, I've wondered what are the accesories (bel hangers, straps, frogs, etc.) available for this specific bayonet - and its variations?
I have an example with a black belt hanger made, but smooth instead of the "typical" black pebble-grain leather (or brown).
It came with a 6x5 (var. 3) bayonet in very good condition.
Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kik57sravcif ... r49Ua?dl=0
I can add better pics later, with the bayonet also.

Thank you for any information!
Mr. B.

Re: Russian 6X5 straps, hangers and etc

Post by Mr. B. »

The only accessories for the AK74 6X5 bayonets and scabbards are the snap hook leather belt hangers. The 1986 Type 1 bayonets, (test versions without the hole in the blade), would have used the brown pebbled leather carried over from the AKM 6X4 bayonets. The 1987 Type 2 bayonets, (the early plum versions with the narrow cross guards), also used the brown pebbled ones. The 1988 to current Type 3 bayonets started out as plum ones and also had the brown pebbled hangers. At some point in time the bayonets and scabbards were changed from plum to black color. The hangers also changed from brown pebbled ones to black pebbled leather ones. These changes may or may not have happened at the same time, but in my experience the plum ones have had brown hangers and the black ones have the black hangers. I have never seen an issued Russian 6X5 with smooth black leather hanger. Reference books show only the Pebbled hangers. It could possible be a replacement from rework stocks or more likely a Bulgarian AK74 hanger. Hangers are easily exchanged and mixed. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

After examining the original pictures I have decided that if the smooth black leather hanger is Russian it is a much older replacement / rework hanger. Note that the "D" ring for the snap hook is the flattened version and not the round wire style found on all but the earliest 6X4 to current production. The flattened /stamped "D" ring also eliminates it being a Bulgarian 6X5 hanger as they also used the round wire style "D" ring. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I just remembered there is one possible exception to Russian 6X5 hangers. At one time there was an experimental / test hanger that is rare to find. This version had brown pebbled leather but did not have a "D" ring. The usual snap hook was installed in slot in the lower end of the folded, riveted metal hinge that connected the leather straps. This version can be seen on this Forum under the Topic: Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74. Mike
rogueX18

Post by rogueX18 »

Thank you very much!

Yes, because of the "D" ring and the smooth leather, I was unsure if it was a Bulgarian or Russian. On the one hand, the smooth leather could make it Bulgarian, but the flat "D" ring would make it more Russian. Unfortunately, there are no markings on the leather hanger and the only thing I got is the word from the seller (who is reputable).
If needed, I can make better photos (sorry for the low quality ones, I made them ad hoc late at night).

Again, thank you for the information!
Kind regard,
Marko
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike, I was wondering if you were going to mention the "d-ringless" hanger. I still need one of those. They are actually the correct hanger (to the best of my knowledge) for the 6X5 without the wire cutter plate.
Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Martin, I believe you're right. I also associate the "D-ringless" hangers with the 6X5 Type 1bayonets. I wonder if it's just a coincidence that they tried out two prototypes at the same time? I need both the hanger and the Type 1 bayonet and the hanger. Like to think I could at least afford the hanger?
Mike