Russian AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard Insulator Variations

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Russian AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard Insulator Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

It seems that there are no end to the colors of the basic AKM 6X3 Type I scabbard variations. From white to black with all tints and shades in between. Some countries used a somewhat standard color, (Poland, Hungary, etc.) others used a variety. The basic shape seems to always be the same with only a couple exceptions. No way to know where they were made or issued with the exception of East Germany and some of the early Russian ones. Here are examples of some of the early Russian ones. The first three are supposedly from the Tula Arsenal, note the different colors as well as the molded markings. Mike
6X3Tula002_zps2c8eece1.jpg
IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Russian AKM 6X3 Type I Scabbard Insulator Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some molded markings from later Russian insulators. They are all similar with small differences in size and position. With the exception of the very early ones most Russian insulators have no markings. The ones pictured below are usually found on scabbards that have been reworked and are believed to have been supplied under contract as replacements during inspection and rework. Mike
IMG_0087.JPG
IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few more, slightly different style. Mike
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Attached is a photo of a Tula marked insulator I received with an arsenal reworked 6X3, which has been in my collection for over 10 years.
Tula Insulator.JPG
Stay safe
Richard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A new Russian Kalashnikov reference book mentions an early version of the 6X3 Type I insulators. It is unmarked and slightly longer than the later versions. It was used only on the early scabbards without the scabbard stop welded to the side of the scabbard body. These longer variations were removed and replaced by the shorter standard versions during subsequent rework/repair. Pictured below with my marked Tula insulators. I acquired this item on a reworked 6X3. It was dirty, discolored and slightly damaged. I removed it and replaced it with a standard Russian insulator. It was a different color and I did not know what it was. I had not noticed that it was longer than the others. Mike
Scan_20191229 (2).jpg
IMG_0055.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG
alphaDAM

Post by alphaDAM »

i came across one of these longer insulators the other day. it measures roughly 3,5/8", is unmarked and is a light gray / light tan color. is it likely this is russian or did other countries have this length insulator?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Without seeing pictures, I would assume it was Russian like the one in my collection pictured above. I say this because of the color. The only other long Insulator I am aware of is from Poland and they were black. Also these two are the only ones documented in reference materials. You can see the Polish one on this forum under, Poland - "Polish AKM 6H4 Scabbard Variation". It unusual to find an original Russian one in good condition. They were only used on the early 6X3 scabbards without the insulator stop on the side. The insulators in general wore out or were damaged and frequently replaced. Also the long ones were replaced with the standard short ones when they came in for inspection, refinishing and reissue over the years. Even the early scabbards were often retro fitted with a insulator stop. This also prevented the longer insulators from being reused. Mike