Black 6X5 Bayonet Variations

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Black 6X5 Bayonet Variations

Post by MDIvie »

Photos of Black 6X5 Bayonets.
Photos 1 and 2 show views of a black 6X5 souvenir bayonet. (clipped latch)
Photos 3 and 4 show views of a black 6X5 mil spec bayonet
Photos 5 and 6 show views of a black 6X5 bayonet with a pinned muzzle ring that was sold in Russia as a hunting knife.
Photos 7 and 8 show views of the pommels of the 3 bayonets mil spec, pinned ring, and souvenir from left to right. All are mold number 15-2. Only real noticeable difference is in the peening of the rivet for the catch on the souvenir bayonet. It has a double ring appearance.
Photo 9 shows the lower back of the scabbards and the wire cutter plate, again mil spec, pinned ring, and souvenir from left to right. There are noticeable differences in the logos and the attachment of the wire cutter anvil.
Photo 10 shows the upper back of the scabbards and partials of the hangers, again mil spec, pinned ring, and souvenir from left to right. The scabbards are all very similar and have different mold numbers 6-2, 8-2, and 6-1 respectively which would easily explain the differences.
Photo 11 shows the etching on the blade of the souvenir bayonet with the modern Izhmash logo followed by HB-5Exp.
The souvenir bayonet may be a Chinese knock off based on the information provided by a contact in Latvia.
C6X5BlackHB5ExpB.jpg
C6X5BlackHB5ExpF.jpg
C6X5BlackMilB.jpg
C6X5BlackMilF.jpg
C6X5BlackPRB.jpg
C6X5BlackPRF.jpg
C6X5CompPomL.jpg
C6X5CompPomR.jpg
C6X5CompScabLB.jpg
C6X5CompScabUB.jpg
C6X5HB5ExpBladeMark.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Black 6X5 Bayonet Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

Very interesting pictures and comparisons. As a rule, I try to collect only military issue bayonets that can be attached to a rifle. I did acquire a Russian 6X5 (Type III) with a pin in the muzzle ring by accident a few years back. I couldn't see the pin in the pictures and bought it because of the unusual stamped serial number on the blade ricasso. After seeing the above pictures I dug out an issued black 6X5 and my pinned one and compared them with the pictures. After close examination I observed the following:
1. All three bayonets appear to have been made on Russian equipment, (Izhevsk?). All appear pretty much identical and with similar mold marks. The differences are that the pinned one has had a vertical hole drilled the muzzle ring, a pin or rivet inserted and the black painted finish touched up. The pinned one has a production inspection mark, but is missing the military proof mark, (OTK). It has a stamped serial number on the blade and is without the hand etched issue number on the side of the cross guard. The souvenir one appears to have been made on the original equipment right down to the mold mark, and if not original, it is a very close copy. Perhaps a special contract or production run as a strictly souvenir? There are no inspection or proof marks, and the blade finish and laser engraving are an obvious difference. The pinned one appears to have been pulled from the military production line before final military acceptance, pinned and numbered to be sold as a legal hunting knife in Russia!?
2. All three scabbards appear to have been made on Russian equipment as well, (Izhevsk!). Again all appear pretty much identical with similar mold and arsenal marks. This is especially true of the military and pinned one as they both have the same inspection and military acceptance marks. The souvenir one has no inspection or acceptance marks. The different minor variations between all three can easily be attributed to the different molds used during production.
3. All three hangers appear to be basically the same. The military and pinned ones appear identical and from the same production. on the souvenir one the leather texture is slightly different and it is dyed black all the way through. The metal bracket, rivets and the hook ring are all different in formation and appear to be almost hand made copies. The hook is also wrong in that it has a small ridge on the rear.

One more observation, it is quite possible that the souvenir could be a knock off copy. In the pictures, the color, texture and finish of the molded parts of both the bayonet and scabbard, appear different than the Russian military production ones. Perhaps a cheaper, easier to mold plastic than the electrical insulating, heat resistant material used fore military issue. Perhaps on old surplus molds purchased from Russia? Also the metal parts could be made from softer metal as the would not have to be functional?

Pictured below are one of my Russian black 6X5 bayonets, (left), and a pinned 6X5 knife, (Right). Mike
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures of the comparison of the 6X5 Russian military bayonet and pinned knife version. Mike
IMG_0005.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0009.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Final pictures of the scabbards and hangers of the Russian 6X5 black military bayonet and pinned knife version. Mike
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0014.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

One more picture of the hangers to show leather textures, metal fixtures and assembly. Compare them with the souvenir bayonet on the beginning post. Mike
IMG_0015.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I am not at all surprised that they take new ones off the production line, and deactivate them for collectors. They are well aware of the collectors market, and a few years ago when we imported rifles from them, we also imported some deacs (AK74, SVD and Bizon) that are new guns taken off the production line and deactivated. We also got some Junkers air rifles that are the same...a real AK74 taken off the production line and converted.
They have no problems making stuff for collectors it seems, and I have my doubts about any of the "reproduction" items as those would cost a lot to tool up for, and we are not seeing many of them around.
Brian
- Admin -