Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74

Russian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74

Post by Mr. B. »

I was doing some research on Russian bayonet hangers and thought this would be a good time to start a new Topic. When the 6X3 Type I wire cutter bayonet was introduced several different styles of hangers were tried before they were standardized at some point at both the Tula and Izhevsk Arsenals. The ones used by Tula were a smooth light tan natural leather. The ones used by Izhevsk used a brown small pebble embossed leather. They both used a flat metal "D" ring to attach the snap hook. At some point a change was made at both arsenals to a round wire "d" ring. In my experience all the 6X3 and some of the older 6X4 bayonets used the flat ring hangers. Pictures below are of the front and backs of the Tula and Izhevsk hangers with both the flat and round "D" rings.

Mike
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0176.JPG
IMG_0177.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Russian Snap Hook Hangers AKM - AK74

Post by Mr. B. »

When the change was made to the new AK74 6X5 Type III bayonet variations the Izhevsk bayonets continued to use the Brown pebble grain hangers with the round "D" ring until some time in 1988-89. At that time a change was made to black leather hangers. These can be found with a small pebble embossed texture, similar to the previous brown ones, or a smoother fine textured pattern. Pictured below are the two black 6X5 hangers, front and back.

Mike
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0179.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a couple more AKM hangers while I had them out. Both are both like new and early variations with the flat "D" ring for the snap hooks. One has smooth black leather. The second one is smooth green leather with a matching green leather wrist strap. The green is difficult to show in pictures, but is very noticeable in person. Whether these hangers are an original variation or for replacement/rework is a matter of debate. The ones pictured here I picked out of a shipping case of reworked Russian 6X3 bayonets. Also, the green hanger and wrist strap were found on different bayonets.

Mike
IMG_0180.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is a, " Russian-Soviet-Black-Pebbled-AK-Bayonet-Hanger-RARE ", currently listed on eBay.

The description is as follows: " Russian Soviet Black Pebbled AK Bayonet Hanger in mint condition from old reserves.
These pebbled hangers are extremely rare to find and they come in brown and black color.
As you can see on photo it comes stamped with OTK (tehnical control stamp) marking! ".

Although it looks quite exotic, I question it's authenticity. The embossed leather pattern, or something very similar, is currently available commercially in both brown or black. When examined, the leather appears new and hand cut. Mass produced hangers use leather cut by machine using roller cutter blades. The metal bracket appears to have been reused and has light corrosion/discoloration in places. The bracket is folded in more of a "V" shape. The originals ones are folded over a round die. The rivets are poor quality and appear to have been set individually by hand, note the stamping marks around the rivets. The hilt loop stud is poor quality and not the correct finish. The real Russian hangers use a smooth black stud and washer. Most of all the hilt loops are backward for a Russian hanger. When observed from the front, all the real Russian hanger hilt loop strap points to the right when fastened. The markings are easy to replicate, (Rubber Stamps-R-Us, your design, under $10.) and most Russian hangers are not marked at all, only a small percentage are randomly sampled and proofed yet these hangers all have multiple proof marks!?

Mike
Russian hangers 3.jpg
Leather 2.jpg
Embossed leather.jpg
Embossed leather.jpg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 27871 times
Last edited by Mr. B. on Tue May 17, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures of the "Rare" hangers. Mike
Russian hangers 4.jpg
Russian hangers 5.jpg
Russian hangers 6.jpg
Russian hangers 7.jpg
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Those last hangers are for those of you who want a faux Alligator hanger to match your faux Alligator combat boots.

I see a lot of stuff coming out recently that is purported to be rare. We have the guys in Croatia etching blades on different bayonets and jacking the prices up, the most recent is the Russian 6X4 with the VDV logo that is on EBAY. This really detracts from collecting in my opinion.

I will try to add pictures of interesting Soviet/Russian hangers I have in my collection sometime this week.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

RussianHangersOutsideC.jpg
RussianHangersInsideC.jpg
These are pictures of 10 Russian snap hook hanger variations I have in my collection.

Top Row from left to right:
Canvas belt loop, pebble grain brown leather keeper strap, brass stud, flat D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal (came on modified early scabbard)
Natural tan leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, flat D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal
Reddish ersatz leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, flat D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal
Pebble grain brown leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, flat D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal

Middle Row from left to right:

White leather belt loop, white ersatz keeper strap, black painted steel stud, flat D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal (this hanger looks like they decided to install the keeper stud in backwards after they noticed the black stains on the strap)
Black leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, round D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal (came on Tula 6X4)
Pebble grain brown leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, round D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal
Brown smooth leather belt loop and keeper strap, brass stud, triangular flat D-ring, round back snap hook, black painted mount plate (came on a Tula 6X4. I also have one on my early 6X5 I just picked up.)

Bottom Row left to right:

Pebble grain black leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, round D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal (as found on black polymer 6X5 bayonets)
Pebble grain black through dyed leather belt loop and keeper strap, black painted steel stud, round D-ring, flat back snap hook, phosphated metal (as found on souvenir HB-5EXP. marked bayonets.)

MDI
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few of the Russian AKM -AK74 hangers I display. My finger gets tired of typing so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and answer questions if you have any or want better pictures. First one is all black, second one is black and dark gray tu-tone leather with black metal except for the rivets. Mike
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
The next one is just a plain standard black one shown with a more unusual green leather one.
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The next pair are different for various reasons. The first one is a tu-tone tan leather one. The belt lop is a natural tan similar to the standard Tula hangers, but the hilt loop is a smooth shiny patent like leather similar to the almost matching wrist strap. The second one is unusual in that it has natural tan leather a little darker than the standard Tula ones and although it doesn't show well in the pictures all the metal pieces have a very definite gold tint. It is shown with a matching wrist strap. The hanger and strap were found on different reworked bayonets as well as the first previous hanger and strap. I switch them around to make a better display, after all they are all mixed during the inspection and rework procedure where no attempt is made to match anything up. Mike
IMG_0219.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
IMG_0221.JPG
IMG_0222.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More Russian hanger variations. The first one has the triangular hook loop that that supposedly was recycled from another piece of Russian field gear, (gas mask bag?). It is also unique in my collection as it is the only Russian hanger with a natural metal stud, all the others are black. It is pictured with two different early black wrist strap buckles, one on a brown strap and one on a black strap. Note the bayonet with a flat pommel and one with the circular pattern catch button. Again these hangers and strap were found going through a shipping container of reworked Russian 6X3 and 6X4 bayonets. Mike
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
Here are two more rework hangers grouped together because of the unusual snap hook rings. The rings are elliptical round wire with non-typical hooks. The rings are reminiscent of Yugo rings and hook, yet different in width and wire diameter. Note that one has no metal bracket, just riveted folded leather which is wider than most others. Ends of the hilt strap are also cut differently.
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0228.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Two more Russian snap hook hangers. These are less common ones and were found on as issued bayonets and not on reworked ones. The first one is an early design using a metal bracket to connect separate belt and hilt loops. This method was adopted and is still in use in Poland. The Russian one pictured has synthetic, (vinyl?), loops, but they are also found with real leather. Note that the Polish ones have only one rivet on the back of the belt loop, the Russian ones have two. The second hanger is fabricated from a khaki fabric web belt loop and an almost smooth brown leather hilt strap and the common metal pieces. Mike
IMG_0229.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Excellent work, and some very nice examples and variations Mike.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

These are the last two Russian snap hook hangers for now. Both are made of synthetic, (vinyl?), material. The first one is the more common red/orange material. The second one is dark green and seldom seen. The close up pictures show the back sides of the material and the fine cross hatching of the backing material can be seen. I also have a black vinyl version of this hanger. Note that the green and black ones are more flexible than the red one even though from the same time period with flat "D" rings. Mike
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0233.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0235.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

A couple of comments on Mike's recent photos -
The metal finish that has a gold tint is likely to be Zinc Chromate instead of Zinc Phosphate. This difference is seen on the metal on slings as well with the more matte silver finish produced by Zinc Phosphate used on earlier slings and the shinier gold int produced by Zinc Chromate seen on later produced slings.
MrBHanger01F.JPG
For the hanger on the right missing the metal plate with the odd looking keeper strap, I would theorize that this was a left over closure strap from a mag pouch or other pouch. The end cut pattern is the same as mag pouch closure straps. It looks longer than a normal mag pouch closure strap so it could either be that someone had a too long strap, it was made for another type pouch, it was made purposefully longer and just end cut using the mag pouch strap die, or .....

MDI
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are pictures for comparison of some of the more common Russian hangers found on new un-numbered or unissued like new bayonets. These first ones are the early ones with flat "D" snap hook rings. Natural tan leather, (Tula), medium brown pebble, (Izhevsk?), smooth green and black, (both arsenals?). Note the uniformity in design, dimensions, materials and construction. They display evidence of using machine production and assembly with consistent quality control. Mike
IMG_0022.JPG
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0024.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is the next step of the Russian hangers. Pictured for comparison are the newer style hangers with the round "D" rings. Again these are from new or unissued bayonets. Natural tan leather, (Tula?), med. brown pebble, (Izhevsk?), black fine grain and black pebble grain, (Izhevsk?).
Mike
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This is the last set in this series. Pictures show close ups of materials and construction. The proof or inspection marks are random, most are unmarked as they appear to use statistical quality inspection with only a small percentage actually inspected and marked. Warning, if you encounter quantities of these hangers all with inspection marks, be suspicious of fakes or replicas. Customized rubber stamps and ink are easy and cheap to come by and apply. Mike
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Pictures of different variations of Russian snap hook hangers from eBay. This first one is a fabric and leather one with a triangular "D" ring. Mike
Russian fabric hanger 2.jpg
Russian fabric hanger 3.jpg
Russian fabric hanger.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This Russian bayonet with a white leather hanger and wrist strap sold recently on eBay. If real, it seems to document that the Russian military and police services do have special items for dress, parade and special units such as honor guards, etc.. Mike
Russian White Hanger & Strap.jpg
Russian White Hanger & Strap 4.jpg
Russian White Hanger & Strap 2.jpg
Russian White Hanger & Strap 3.jpg
FirearmFrank

Post by FirearmFrank »

that white one hanger!
Firearm Collector / Builder. AK Bayonet Collector
Hungarian AMD65, Converted Saiga .223, Plum Bulgarian AK74, Yugo M70

WTB: Lithuanian Camo AK Bayonet Frog, Black Egyptian Maadi Bayonet