Displaying an AK Bayonet Collection?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Displaying an AK Bayonet Collection?

Post by Mr. B. »

How do you display or store your items? This is how I display my main collection. These three pictures are of one wall displaying what I consider major variations of AK47, AKM and AK74 bayonets. They are easy to locate and remove for study if needed. There is a second wall with a further 100+ AK related bayonets including spikes, non-traditional and minor variations. Spares and accessories such as hangers, wrist straps, insulators, etc., are kept in drawers.

Mike
IMG_2709.JPG
IMG_2708.JPG
IMG_2706.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Displaying an AK Bayonet Collection?

Post by Brian »

Damn fine collection. Makes me realize how many I still need to get :gloom:
Don't have a display at this stage, they are still in crates. I keep thinking I need to get display cabinets made, but never get there.
Good and practical way of displaying.
I think this is a great idea, but not for a huge amount of bayonets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Support-display ... SwHnFVg-0d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Support-dis ... SwMmBVwJhC
Brian
- Admin -
FirearmFrank

Post by FirearmFrank »

Wow great collection. I've been looking into displaying mine on peg board. Running out of wall space in my gun room unfortunately.
Firearm Collector / Builder. AK Bayonet Collector
Hungarian AMD65, Converted Saiga .223, Plum Bulgarian AK74, Yugo M70

WTB: Lithuanian Camo AK Bayonet Frog, Black Egyptian Maadi Bayonet
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

TheRussian DrawerC.jpg
I opted to use Map/Architects Drawers to store my collection. The picture is of the "Russian" Drawer from a while back.

MDI
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Great idea! The shallow drawers eliminate the hanging and exposure issues. Nicely displayed, accessible and easy to locate. Lots of items in a relatively small area. However it does take a lot of floor space, especially when a drawer is open. I have limited floor space, but lots of wall area, four windowless walls. The deeper drawers I use seem to waste a lot space and items get buried/lost.

Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Brian wrote:Damn fine collection. Makes me realize how many I still need to get :gloom:
Don't have a display at this stage, they are still in crates. I keep thinking I need to get display cabinets made, but never get there.
Good and practical way of displaying.
I think this is a great idea, but not for a huge amount of bayonets: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Support-display ... SwHnFVg-0d
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Support-dis ... SwMmBVwJhC
Yes, I agree! These polycast display mounts are available in several styles and are very well done and look very nice. However, they are somewhat delicate and break easily, especially the bayonet mounts where the catch is located. Actual rifle front ends with bayonet mounts work as well and the unusable barrel assembles as can be found reasonably as well. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Unless you are in a country where barrels are licensed, and even that front part of a barrel would be an illegal firearm. Like here. :gloom:
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

And I thought the USA laws were strict. I have picked up a few front barrel assemblies just to display how various bayonets are mounted. Polish Tantal, Bulgarian AK74, Romanian PSL, Czech VZ58 and Finn M62. I would still like to add a basic AK47 and AKM to add to this display. I have the rifles but want the front barrels too. Mike
IMG_0132.JPG
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I have a few shadow boxes to display unique collections. Each one holds 3-4 bayonets. I bought them at Michaels and stained them and added dividers myself. The rest of my bayonets are in poly sleeves in ammo crates.

Nathan
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Someone here uses old library card index drawers. Very nice idea if you clean them up nicely. There are up to over 100 drawers in one unit. But not easy to find. Would love to find some old wooden ones, have to look out for libraries that close down.
Brian
- Admin -
FirearmFrank

Post by FirearmFrank »

i really need to find space in my gun room to display my bayos. i keep them all in a tupperware box, stacked under other tupperware boxes. im limited on wall space due to the work benches, 2 gun safes, full size frig full of moonshine and walls of ammo boxes.

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, I was there too. For years I collected all military firearms and militaria in addition to all bayonets with an accent on ComBloc items. Started to run out of room and always short on funds. Decided to focus on one item, (Kalashnikov Bayonets), small enough to be easy to handle and display plus less expensive. Downsizing everything else helps free up space and funds to specialize. Still have way to much stuff accumulated to dispose of, but my wife is much happier now, me too! Mike

BTW ..... If N.J. SUCKS ...... IA. BLOWS ! M.
FirearmFrank

Post by FirearmFrank »

yeah i collect the oilers, the stocks, parts kits, pouches everything AK related haha.

Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Collection display updated November 2017. Mike
IMG_0197 (2).JPG
IMG_0198 (2).JPG
IMG_0199 (2).JPG
IMG_0199 (2).JPG (115.13 KiB) Viewed 25120 times
IMG_0200 (2).JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Damn! Wow.
Serious collection Mike! Nicely done.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

This isn't just showing off. I like keeping this update available instead of having to go downstairs, turn off the alarms and unlock the doors and wait for the lights to come up in the gun room just to check on some small thing for reference. I'm lazy and forgetful! There are also several small sub-collections, (insulators, hangers, straps and other duplicates and accessories are in drawers. The 4th pictures has several misc. duplicates/traders hanging in the middle under the spikes. The other two walls are misc. weapons and other ComBloc items.
kstim

Post by kstim »

I have only been collecting AK bayos for a year, currently have only about 20 pieces, so these pics are making me drool seriously.
Wildthing

Post by Wildthing »

Ive found that a cheap, round curtain rod works well to display my bayos.
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

If, like me, you lack wall space, then an alterative solution which I 'displayed' or rather stored my collection is an IKEA drawer unit that I bought a few years back. Having just dug out my collection over the last few weeks and dusted them off, I will be putting them back into this unit.

These pictures are from a few years ago:
P1100708.JPG
P1100710.JPG
P1100712.JPG
Link on IKEA website: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/alex-drawe ... -90410427/

There is also a seller on eBay, based in France, selling hand painted resin mould stands, made from weapon barrels, which include AK47, AKM and AK74's.

Nice items but a bit rich for me: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Support-displa ... SwMmBVwJhC

Richard
Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Displayed just for the picturing on the floor carpet - end of 2019..
Attachments
Oct2019.JPG