New member intro

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

BlastCrab

New member intro

Post by BlastCrab »

Good morning all, My account was just approved and I wanted to introduce myself. I have been on akfiles and theakforum for six or so years as frtalbert. I only discovered your forum this month and am glad to be a member. I started collecting Bayonets to go with each kit as I progressed in this hobby/obsession. I humbly submit my collection that I have amased over the past few years.

Russian Rare

Russian

Chinese

Yugoslavian

Bulgarian

East German

Polish
BlastCrab

Re: New member intro

Post by BlastCrab »

More from the collection that could not fit in the first post.

Hungarian

Romanian + Extra

Valmet + Unique
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Welcome to the Forum FrankT. Very impressive collection, especially in such a short time. Great pictures including some very rare items. There are several items there I would personally like to see more pictures of and have more information about. I look forward to sharing pics and info in the future. I am also a member of several other AK and Bayonet Forums and FB groups. Always look forward to learning and sharing information about our common interests. Always something new to learn. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is one small thing I noticed in your pictures to get a discussion started. You picture two black leather hangers in the group labeled as Yugoslavian. These hangers appear to me to be ones that I would call Lithuanian. They were usually issued and used with Russian AKM 6X4 bayonets and scabbards. I have never associated them with anything Yugo. Check them out under the heading, Kalashnikov Bayonets "Other", on this forum. Mike
furtium

Post by furtium »

Welcome! Impressive collection. I would enjoy seeing more close ups of the first four bayonets "Russian Rare".
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Thanks for the warm welcome Mike and Furtium, I appreciate that.
Mike, to address your comment, correct, those are lithuanian leather hangers paired with the yugos. I did not realize they were only associated with Russian models, that is great info. I placed them with the yugos, basically as a placeholder until I can find a slovakian hanger, which seem rare as hens teeth.
Mike and Furtium, I am happy to share what pictures that I have, however, most of my collection is with family in NM, while I am stationed in NYC, so the stock i have current access to is limited.
I have a few more closer pictures of the red Russian ones I will add here when I get home.

Mike, which other ones are you interested in discussing?

R/
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Very very, nice collection!!
As some of the other guys stated I too would love to see more detailed pics of some of your collection!

Especially your Russian transitional stuff!!

All in all what a fantastic collection!
Nice to see another great assemble of this specific bayonet platform!! 👌👌
steelmonkey

Post by steelmonkey »

Nice collection going on there frtalbert. Welcome to the site.
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. Below are the close ups of the Russian experimental and transitional bayonets, that I have. Unfortunately none of them are with me in NYC, but with family, safely housed with the "evil weapons" they below to.

Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Very nice close ups!!
One question - is that izhvesk 6x4 transitional a reworked bayonet with renumbering or is it in its original untouched state with original numbers?
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Dragur2791 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:01 am Very nice close ups!!
One question - is that izhvesk 6x4 transitional a reworked bayonet with renumbering or is it in its original untouched state with original numbers?
Thanks for the question, it has its original numbers, no renumbering.

I have a second one that I am selling that was my first one, that has a renumbered scabbard.
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Impressive - untoched ones are hard to come by! I my self is a proud owner of Tula example. You can see it under the Russian section.
When time permits you should add all your cool pieces to the individual sections 😄😄
There are certainly alot to discuss
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Dragur2791 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:31 pm Impressive - untoched ones are hard to come by! I my self is a proud owner of Tula example. You can see it under the Russian section.
When time permits you should add all your cool pieces to the individual sections 😄😄
There are certainly alot to discuss
A Tula example, yes, I need to check that out. I was unaware that both factories made these.

I will add these pictures to each country section in the coming days.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, from recent information and references we have learned more details about the Russian AKM "Transitional" bayonets assembled at Tula and Izhevsk during the change over in production from the 6X3 to 6X4 bayonets and Type I scabbards to Type II scabbards. Most of the transitional ones that are found are from being reworked for reserve with forced matched numbers. The true ones are possible from both arsenals and have matching factory style numbers assembled for different reasons. The Tula ones featured 6X4 bayonets in older Type I scabbards as there ability to make the new Type II scabbards was delayed. The Izhevsk ones were a 6X3 bayonet in a new Type II scabbard using up a surplus of 6X3 bayonets during the change over. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree with Dragur. I would like to see more details of your collection in individual sections. For starters, I would like to see the five Russian AK47 (6X2) bayonets and scabbards. Detailed pictures and markings would help. I can't tell from the picture if they are Russian or Finnish contract. They don't appear to have drain holes in the front of the scabbards. Thanks, Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

Hi,

Welcome ! You have a great collection sir.

But it's sad to see some chinese replica (T81 and T87) of the middle of these beauties
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Mr. B. wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:49 pm Yes, from recent information and references we have learned more details about the Russian AKM "Transitional" bayonets assembled at Tula and Izhevsk during the change over in production from the 6X3 to 6X4 bayonets and Type I scabbards to Type II scabbards. Most of the transitional ones that are found are from being reworked for reserve with forced matched numbers. The true ones are possible from both arsenals and have matching factory style numbers assembled for different reasons. The Tula ones featured 6X4 bayonets in older Type I scabbards as there ability to make the new Type II scabbards was delayed. The Izhevsk ones were a 6X3 bayonet in a new Type II scabbard using up a surplus of 6X3 bayonets during the change over. Mike
Very interesting Mike, thank you. This is great info. within the last month I was able to purchase a couple transitional bayonets. Tula 6x4 with 6x3 scabbard, and Izzy/Tula combo, 6x3 with 6x4 scabbard, both OG matched numbers. I didn't understand the methodology behind these matches. Now I am much clearer. Thank you for providing that. I will provide pictures when I can.
BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

Mr. B. wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 pm I agree with Dragur. I would like to see more details of your collection in individual sections. For starters, I would like to see the five Russian AK47 (6X2) bayonets and scabbards. Detailed pictures and markings would help. I can't tell from the picture if they are Russian or Finnish contract. They don't appear to have drain holes in the front of the scabbards. Thanks, Mike
Correct Mike, none of the 6x2s have drain holes. Please find the closeup images I took of them over the summer. Unfortunately, these are all I have and do not have any of just the scabbards.

BlastCrab

Post by BlastCrab »

ilian wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:25 am Hi,

Welcome ! You have a great collection sir.

But it's sad to see some chinese replica (T81 and T87) of the middle of these beauties
Thanks for your response. These were both ebay purchases, and for relatively cheap, so I am not surprised. I am very curious though how you see these are repros so easily.

Thanks,
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Correct Mike, none of the 6x2s have drain holes. Please find the closeup images I took of them over the summer. Unfortunately, these are all I have and do not have any of just the scabbards.

I had already been inspecting your original picture. That is why I asked. All 5 appear to be Russian Izhevsk made AK47 bayonets. However I believe that they are all made for Finland and not Russian issue. The 3 on the left are 1st contract with the early 2 band scabbards. The 2 on the right are 2nd contract with the later 1 piece hanger bracket. I believe they are Finnish because of no drain holes in the scabbards and the style and placement of the numbers. Also, I believe I can see that the 3 with unwrapped hangers have what appears to be stitching attaching the hilt loop to the fabric hanger. The Russian hangers used a single rivet. To further confirm this, the Russian issue bayonets would have an acceptance stamp on the right side of the pommel. The Finns do not. By the way, I display my Finnish ones along with the Russian ones as they are Russian made. Mike