Unusual marking on Russian 6X3 Type I scabbard

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Unusual marking on Russian 6X3 Type I scabbard

Post by Mr. B. »

While restoring a bunch of reworked Russian 6X3 Type I bayonets & scabbards I discovered this unusual numbering on a scabbard. The scabbard is by Izhevsk and had no original numbers. It may have been repainted, but no evidence of any previous markings. This faint marking appears to be from a pen or pencil on top of the paint. Possibly two Russian, (Cyrillic) letters followed by four numbers. It's located just below the insulator stop on the front of the scabbard body. I have observed this type of letter and numbers on Bulgarian bayonets and scabbards, but they did not make or use the 6X3 bayonets or scabbards as far as I know. Why on a Russian scabbard used for replacement / rework?

Has anyone else seen this or have any idea what it is or why it's there ??? Mike
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG (40.79 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
thumbnail_20200219_145723.jpg
IMG_0127.JPG
ilian

Re: Unusual marking on Russian 6X3 Type I scabbard

Post by ilian »

I read "3L3443" or "ZL3443" but very uncommon.

Other rifle (not AK) attributed bayonet? Like attributed to a SVD Dragunov?
MDIvie

Re: Unusual marking on Russian 6X3 Type I scabbard

Post by MDIvie »

I think ilian is on to something here. This may be n actual 6X3 issued with an SVD. Would like to find out more. Is ZL a common prefix for SVD serial numbers? For instance.