AKM Bayonets & Scabbards

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

LONDON ANDY

AKM Bayonets & Scabbards

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi there, I have been collecting bayonets for some time and have recently started to acquire AK & AKM bayonets from various countries. I have a general question that hopefully someone can answer for me :-)

Is there a right way around to put AKM bayonets into their scabbards ? I have looked at various pictures and have found the bayonets placed into their scabbards both ways :bang:

Many thanks in advance
Andy
Mr. B.

Re: AKM Bayonets & Scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

In my opinion there is no right way. For display purposes in a collection I prefer them to all be the same way. I display my collection with the scabbard cutter pivot to the front and the hanger loop to the rear. The bayonets are placed in the scabbards with the release buttons to the front. Wrist straps are displayed with the upper rivet or buckle to the front. Some collectors try to keep matching numbers on the scabbard and bayonet to the front. All a matter of personal taste. Mike
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi Mike

Thank you for the reply :-)

That makes sense to me the only problem arises with my Romanian AKM with the leather frog because the rubber insulator is larger on one side to accommodate the clip on the hangers which makes the scabbard sit the other way around with the scabbard cutter pivot facing away :roll:
I am presuming if I turned the scabbard around it would not look right at all.

Andy
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Hi Andy,

You are right The Romy AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards are a challenge. However the un-used hanger loop can be turned to the back with the wrap around one piece hanger. This is possible with both the all leather and the canvas and leather hangers if they are in good condition. This make them display better with the Romy's with the one and two piece hangers. In my opinion the bayonets and scabbards look cleaner and more uniform with the hanger loop turned to back. This also helps keep dirt and other crap from accumulating in the insulator pocket. Check out the pictures in this section of the Forum titled, "Displaying an AK Bayonet Collection". Also look through the Romanian section. Mike
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

I understand Mike's reasoning for turning the Romy bayonets in the hangers, however, I like to display then as you would see them worn in the field, so with the hanger loop to the front. Just my personal preference. All of my bayonets are get in map drawers so I don't have the dust concern.
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Normally all protruding parts to the outside.
It depends on how you store the bayonets.
With flat storage, leatherloops upwards so that they do not flatten and form cracks.
With the insulator rubber pocket upwards so that there is no pressure on it.
Attachments
DSCF0342.JPG
Rum Gurt 2 (1).JPG
DSCF0070.JPG
DSCF0090.JPG
LONDON ANDY

Post by LONDON ANDY »

Hi to all who have replied and thanks to you all.

Some interesting points raised that I had not thought of.
The most important thing for me was to know that I was not causing any unnecessary damage to my AKM's by inserting them into their scabbards the wrong way :-) .

I am storing my bayonets in individual heavy cordura zip up knife pouches that have a black padded fleece lining which are stood on their edge or are laying flat in sealed storage boxes. Hope to get them displayed in cabinets at some point in the future.

Andy
RPBCPS

Post by RPBCPS »

Andy,
Happy New Year and welcome to the world of AK bayonet collecting.

If not already done, check out this post, it may be of interest to you

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=73

Stay safe
Richard