AK47 bayonet (6x2) Russian, with wooden grips?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

rakysk

AK47 bayonet (6x2) Russian, with wooden grips?

Post by rakysk »

Hello everyone,
Here is my latest gunshow pickup. Impulse buy :err: . I think this bayonet is Russian. With wooded grips?
The bad - Blade has pitting and is sharpened. The good - I guess the only good would be that I got another bayonet. :-)
Can you guys confirm if it is Russian? Does it even have any value due to the blade condition? What wold be OK price to pay for correct Russian scabbard for this bayonet?
Attachments
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: AK47 bayonet (6x2) Russian, with wooden grips?

Post by Mr. B. »

This one is a bit of a mystery. It would be difficult to even make an educated guess. A closer examination for markings may be helpful, but even then not conclusive. Here are some observations.

1. The grip panels appear to have been replaced at some time. They do not seem to match the wear and weathering found on the bayonet. Also the finish is missing on the retaining screws. They should be corroded, painted like the other metal parts.
2. The only documented bayonets with wood grip panels are either Chinese or North Korean. The grips on this bayonet do appear to be similar to S.E. Asian Chu wood.
3. The numbers and placement on the left side of the pommel are similar to those found on Russian or North Korean bayonets.
4. A Russian bayonet should have an arrow in triangle arsenal mark on the left side of the cross guard indicating the Izhevsk arsenal. It should also have letters (C.B. ?) in a diamond on the right side of the pommel indicating military acceptance.
5. A North Korean bayonet should have a 5 point star or other marking on the left side of the cross guard.
6. Chinese bayonets are usually unmarked and un-numbered.
7. The original finish on the hilt is missing and the metal very corroded. The hilt has been repainted at some point with black paint over the corrosion.
8. Obviously the scabbard is missing which may have helped in identifying the bayonet.

If I were to make a wild ass guess, I would say it is a well worn North Korean bayonet that has been reworked at some point. The poor condition, lack of positive identification and missing scabbard decrease it's value to a collector. Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

I think Mike are right.
Rub the black paint with steel wool at the red marked area.
I think there comes the Korean star in a circle.
Attachments
kor.9.12.png
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

In answer to your last question. There are a couple used scabbards currently listed on eBay that are actually Bulgarian. Ebay # 202849090721 & 264557881264 . There are also a used and new real Russian scabbard listed eBay # 333237794194 &
152590175840 . Mike
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

Mr. B. wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:28 pm This one is a bit of a mystery. It would be difficult to even make an educated guess. A closer examination for markings may be helpful, but even then not conclusive. Here are some observations.

1. The grip panels appear to have been replaced at some time. They do not seem to match the wear and weathering found on the bayonet. Also the finish is missing on the retaining screws. They should be corroded, painted like the other metal parts.
2. The only documented bayonets with wood grip panels are either Chinese or North Korean. The grips on this bayonet do appear to be similar to S.E. Asian Chu wood.
3. The numbers and placement on the left side of the pommel are similar to those found on Russian or North Korean bayonets.
4. A Russian bayonet should have an arrow in triangle arsenal mark on the left side of the cross guard indicating the Izhevsk arsenal. It should also have letters (C.B. ?) in a diamond on the right side of the pommel indicating military acceptance.
5. A North Korean bayonet should have a 5 point star or other marking on the left side of the cross guard.
6. Chinese bayonets are usually unmarked and un-numbered.
7. The original finish on the hilt is missing and the metal very corroded. The hilt has been repainted at some point with black paint over the corrosion.
8. Obviously the scabbard is missing which may have helped in identifying the bayonet.

If I were to make a wild ass guess, I would say it is a well worn North Korean bayonet that has been reworked at some point. The poor condition, lack of positive identification and missing scabbard decrease it's value to a collector. Mike
Mike,

thank you very much for detailed information and the link to scabbards on EBay.
I took another look at the bayonet and compared with the one I posted on this forum about month and a half ago.
The wear on grips is definitely different than wear on other parts of the bayonet. I agree, grips must have been replaced.
What I found, is the Izhevsk stamp on left side of cross guard, but it looks to me little wider than on the other bayonet. There are no other stamps. Well, one is inside, on the bottom, than looks like Russian G - г - .
The black paint was only applied at the cross guard and at the pommel. Metal part that is "sandwiched" between grips is not painted black. Neither are screws. They have same finish as metal part between grips.
I'll add few more pictures.
Attachments
10.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

mill_speer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:20 pm I think Mike are right.
Rub the black paint with steel wool at the red marked area.
I think there comes the Korean star in a circle.
mill_speer,
I think that circle you pointed out is one of the pins that are at cross guard
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

It does look like the Izhevsk triangle and arrow on the cross guard. Perhaps a closer look at the right side of the pommel. There should be a small flattened diamond proof mark to confirm that it is indeed Russian. I have never herad of or seen any reference to a Russian AK47 bayonet with wood grip panels. Maybe it was sold or traded to China or N. Korea where it was issued and eventually reworked and grips replaced. Mike

If you purchase a scabbard for it I would recommend the used Russian one as it would more closely matched your used bayonet. I have had good transactions with that seller and recommend him, commissary2016. Mike
rakysk

Post by rakysk »

Mr. B. wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:39 am It does look like the Izhevsk triangle and arrow on the cross guard. Perhaps a closer look at the right side of the pommel. There should be a small flattened diamond proof mark to confirm that it is indeed Russian. I have never herad of or seen any reference to a Russian AK47 bayonet with wood grip panels. Maybe it was sold or traded to China or N. Korea where it was issued and eventually reworked and grips replaced. Mike

If you purchase a scabbard for it I would recommend the used Russian one as it would more closely matched your used bayonet. I have had good transactions with that seller and recommend him, commissary2016. Mike
Mike,

I don't see any markings on right side of pommel. Who know what's the story of this bayonet :-) . For sure metal parts are rough. Actually what caught my eye were those grips; didn't even care that blade is pitted.
Thanks for recommendation for ebay seller.
ilian

Post by ilian »

Russian bayonet for sur but scales were replaced, and the bayonet repainted.