My bests

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Marco

My bests

Post by Marco »

Hello, I'm trying to show some pictures...
Marco

Re: My bests

Post by Marco »

Once again
Attachments
Early 6X4 particular scarbard
Early 6X4 particular scarbard
Polish 6H4 chromed1
Polish 6H4 chromed1
Polish 6H4 chromed
Polish 6H4 chromed
M70 chromed1
M70 chromed1
M70 chromed
M70 chromed
Marco

Post by Marco »

Once more
Attachments
Maadi without sawtheeths1
Maadi without sawtheeths1
Maadi without sawtheeths
Maadi without sawtheeths
early 6X4 particular scarbard
early 6X4 particular scarbard
Marco

Post by Marco »

Excuse me. But I did it!!! The first and the last pictures are the same bayonet. It comes from Ethiopia. The bayonet have a izhevsk marking but the zscarbard as you see is so particular. Thanks for your answers.
Marco

Post by Marco »

You can see a yugoslavian chromed, a polish 6H4 chromed, an early russian (the first picture and the last) with a particular scarbard (without rubber and a particular hanger) and two pictures of a maadi with a white rubber and no sawteeth.
Marco

Post by Marco »

And this one from irak. Seems with romanian material and markings. I don't know, need your knowledge.
Attachments
early irak?
early irak?
early irak?
early irak?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Congratulations on posting your pictures! The first bayonet and scabbard are unique as they came from Ethiopia. They both appear to be Russian, but are miss-matched and obviously have been reworked. The bayonet is an AKM 6X4 Type II and may well be Russian from the Izhevsk arsenal. It would depend on the markings which are not visible in the pictures. The etched number on the pommel is unusual. The scabbard is definitely an early Russian AKM 6X3 Type I. It has the early flat top cutter plate pivot and the single flat bar hanger attachment. It is a rework as the original number has been lined out and the hanger bar notched to make it usable with a snap hook hanger. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The second item is a Polish AKM 6H4 Type II bayonet and 6H3 Type I scabbard. It is specially made presentation or commemorative item and not made for military issue and is non-functional as a bayonet. They are for display or possibly dress or parade. All of the metal parts appear to have been chrome plated. These are quite rare and collectable. This particular pattern is pictured in several of my reference books. Very nice item! Mike

The third item is a Yugoslavian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and scabbard. It is very unusual as the metal parts of the bayonet and scabbard have been nickel or chrome plated at some point in time. Where, when and why is questionable. I have never seen one like this. From what I can see in the pictures it appears both the bayonet and scabbard have the usual issue numbers, but are miss-matched. The hanger and strap appear to be original and correct. Also interesting to note that the plating does not take well to the weld on the back of the cutter plate. I am not sure what the plating of a standard bayonet and scabbard with mixed numbers represents. Perhaps some special dress or parade use? Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The forth item Is an early Egyptian AKM 6X4 Type II bayonet and a Type I scabbard. The bayonet is the brown grip variation with the correct strap. However, I have never seen one with out the saw teeth! VERY UNUSUAL! I wonder if they were not machined or if they made them using Polish 6H4 blade blanks? Are there any markings or numbers on the bayonet? None can be seen in the pictures. The scabbard has the unusual light colored insulator and Arabic numbers. The hanger is not Egyptian and appears to be Romanian in origin. These hangers are often found on Egyptian bayonets used in the Balkan conflicts. I would appreciate seeing more info and detailed pictures of this bayonet. I have a very similar bayonet with a correct hanger and has matching Arabic numbers and saw teeth. Nice to compare. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The fifth item from Iraq is a typical AKM 6x4 Type II bayonet with a Type I scabbard. I am very glad to see these pictures as I have one very similar to this one. No one has ever confirmed what it is or where it was made. I picked up mine in Kuwait following the first Gulf War with Iraq. I agree with what you say about the material and markings being Romanian origin. Some collectors believe they are Egyptian, but I disagree. The materials, manufacture and machining match most closely with those of Romanian ones. The strap and hanger on yours are typical of Romanian ones. Both yours and mine have matching Arabic numbers. The only difference between yours and mine is that my bayonet grip has been painted black and mine has the wrap around leather hanger. Again I would like to have more information and detailed pictures of this item for comparison. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Check out the Iraqi bayonet here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=71

Check out the Egyptian bayonet here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14

Check out the early Russian scabbard here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=196

Mike
Last edited by Mr. B. on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Thanks Mr B for all these responses. I will take other pictures in a few minutes.
Marco

Post by Marco »

My early russian from ethiopia
Attachments
100_2489.JPG
100_2503.JPG
Marco

Post by Marco »

Just in the right of the muzzle ring you have (very hard to see) the izhevsk marking as a 6X3
Marco

Post by Marco »

My Maadi without saw
Attachments
100_2495.JPG
100_2491.JPG
Marco

Post by Marco »

My early irakian seems to be romanian
Attachments
100_2500.JPG
Marco

Post by Marco »

My chromed M70. funny to see than the knife is 162160 and the scarbard 162159! just one!
Attachments
100_2507.JPG
100_2505.JPG
100_2504.JPG
Marco

Post by Marco »

And my chromed polish 6H4
Attachments
100_2498.JPG
100_2497.JPG
juris07

Post by juris07 »

Marco, where did you get Maadi without sawteeth?
can you post more photos with Maadi?
Please, look PM
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks for the extra pictures Marc. I would really like to see one more of the Arabic numbers on the crossguard of the Egyptian Maadi so that I can read the numbers. Do they match the ones on the scabbard.

Also I hope you don't mind that I moved the Maadi pictures to the section for "Kalashnikov Bayonets - Egypt" so they are easier to reference.
I would like to do the same with the others pictures. Place them in the correct country sections if that would be OK with you. More people might see and discuss them there. Mike