Mystery Russian 6X3 Markings !?

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Mystery Russian 6X3 Markings !?

Post by Mr. B. »

I saw this Russian Izhevsk 6X3 Type I bayonet and scabbard listed on eBay several years ago. I have been watching for a similar one ever sinse and not seen one even remotely similar. Has anyone else ever seen this type of markings or have any ideas about it?

Mike
IMG_0168.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Mystery Russian 6X3 Markings !?

Post by Brian »

Hmm...doesn''t look professionally done. Bubba job to increase value...or......??
Brian
- Admin -
FirearmFrank

Post by FirearmFrank »

ive always wondered about fakes. like for AK mags you could just get a stamp made from CH Hanson and put a bunch of dummy fake stamps in and no one would know.
Firearm Collector / Builder. AK Bayonet Collector
Hungarian AMD65, Converted Saiga .223, Plum Bulgarian AK74, Yugo M70

WTB: Lithuanian Camo AK Bayonet Frog, Black Egyptian Maadi Bayonet
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes, my first impression was custom made stamps and Bubba had a heavy hand, looked questionable. However, I then took a closer look at the details. The scabbard has the early style flat top cutter pivot and the bayonet has the early rounded hook on the cross guard. These indicate an early production 6X3 bayonet and scabbard. I have several matching and non-matching Russian 6X3s with the original stamped numbers, but they are all four digits. Could the three digits represent early production as well? Yes, it would be easy to make up the number stamps, but the Izhevsk arrow in triangle would be difficult to fabricate on a metal stamp. I wonder if this could be an early production run, perhaps for field testing or first issue. Anyone else have any opinions/theories??? Sure would like to know where that item ended up!?

Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Doesn't look stamped, looks like it was engraved? Rough outline and inconsistent depth?
Brian
- Admin -
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

From only the one photo it is hard to make a definitive statement. Any possibility this might be a very early Romanian...perhaps assembled from Soviet parts ? They also typically engrave the serial numbers and could the "arrow in triangle" etching be a CUGIR marking and not Izhevsk...?