Question serial numbers and importance.

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Kcray

Question serial numbers and importance.

Post by Kcray »

When buying bayonets I only purchase original matching numbers. But I've come across a mint polish 6h3 that's non issued that I've purchased. What is the consensus on match #, no matching, force matched and unissued. Thank you for any info or advice.
MDIvie

Re: Question serial numbers and importance.

Post by MDIvie »

I personally prefer them in the following order:

1. Matched serial number in excellent to new condition
2. Unissued or non-serial numbered in excellent to new condition.
3. Matched serial number in good to excellent condition.
4. Arsenal reworked, force matched in good to excellent condition.
5. Non-matched in good to excellent condition.
6. Matched in fair to good condition.

And that is about where I cut off collecting.

I have some rough bayonets that are for taking apart.

MDI
Kcray

Post by Kcray »

My exact thoughts also when looking. Thank you very much for your input. I've spent much time reading and looking through your book and use it as my main reference tool. I have even told my children I'll read it to them as their bedtime story if the act bad :lol:

Thank you very much!
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

I see, now I take on the role of Baba yaga. LOL

I know other collectors that prefer unissued and even know one collector that prefers battle field pickup bayonets. Each to his own.

Thanks

Martin
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Condition should always go above "romanticism" meaning battle use. I know not everyone agrees though.
To me, I am in the same boat as Martin there. Given an excellent unissued one, and a nice matched serial one, I would go for the mint one first.
Bugs me to see all these eBay sales proclaiming "matched numbers" and then you see it is arsenal reworked with 6 different crossed out numbers, and one final set of matched numbers. That just irritates me.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Sometimes the matching numbers can tell a background story. For instance, a bayonet made in one country that has been issued in a different country. The style and placement of the numbers can be as important as the numbers themselves. I have one, like new, East German, (DDR), AKM Type II bayonet with three sets of matching numbers on the bayonet and scabbard. It appears to be unissued and has the original DDR hanger and wrist strap. The numbers start with the original hand etched matching DDR numbers. Next it was apparently sold to Bulgaria where a second set of hand etched four digit numbers were added in the Bulgarian style. Finally a third set of what appears to be machine engraved or stamped four digit numbers were added in unusual placement. This DDR bayonet is pictured on this Forum under the Bulgaria heading, "Bulgarian AKM Type II Painted Black" . So far the third set of numbers are a mystery. Mike