Understanding AK Bayonet Attachment Methods

For the Identification of Unknown AK Bayonets and Related Discussion such as Displaying, Use, etc

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Understanding AK Bayonet Attachment Methods

Post by Mr. B. »

When the final design was approved and production was started on the original Russian AK47 rifles there was no means of mounting a bayonet. Several different bayonet designs had been considered and several prototype and experimental bayonets can be found in reference books. Most of these were similar to and borrowed from existing Tokarev and Simonov bayonets and were conventional designs with the catch on the pommel engaging a flanged stud under the barrel. These designs were not approved and it was decided that with the firepower, ease of rapid reloading and the overall compactness of the rifle that a bayonet was not needed.

At some point this decision was reversed and a bayonet was retro designed to fit the rifle with minimal change to the rifle. This was done by designing the rear of the pommel to fit around the Front Gas Block. The cross guard incorporated a vertical sliding latch and a full muzzle ring. The only change to the rifle was to add to small hooks, ("Fangs") to the bottom of the Front Sight Base. Early production AK47 Rifles and various others where the fangs were omitted or removed to comply with import/export restrictions will not mount bayonets.

Maybe these pictures will help illustrate the means of attaching an AK47 bayonet to a rifle. The first picture shows the required "fangs" on the bottom of the FSB. The rifle pictured is a Chinese Type 56, (AK47) and the bayonet is a N. Korean AK47. I was using them to illustrate another post I am working on and they also represent the degree of interchangeability of all the ComBloc AK47 rifles and bayonets. Mike
IMG_0090.JPG
IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0094.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Understanding AK Bayonet Attachment Methods

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures of the design and attachment of an AK47 bayonet. Note the complexity of the design and the extensive machining required on the cross guard, latch, blade tang and pommel. Mike
IMG_0097.JPG
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A couple more pictures of the AK47 bayonet design with the hairpin latch spring installed, (fun procedure!?). Note the small N. Korean star mark on the side of the cross guard between the rivets. This bayonet is in very used condition condition and has been excessively sharpened. It came with the correct red/orange grip panels, but no scabbard. It was picked up in Viet Nam in 1969 during a bomb damage assessment mission. Supposedly a NVA officers bayonet!? Mike
IMG_0115.JPG
IMG_0116.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Eventually the AK47 was redesigned and upgraded and the AKM was introduced. The main change to the rifle was the weight reduction and ease of production with the introduction of the stamped steel receiver replacing the forged and machined steel one on the AK47. Also with the new AKM a more conventional method of mounting a bayonet was introduced with a mounting stud under the front gas block. The first model bayonet designed for the AKM, (6X3 Type I), had the catch in the pommel and a muzzle ring as attachment points. This design also incorporated a means to connect with the scabbard to form a wire cutter. With plastic like insulating grips on the hilt and a rubber insulator on the scabbard even electrically charged wire could be safely cut. A redesigned hanger was also developed with a snap hook to allow the scabbard to be detached for use as a wire cutter. Pictures are of a stripped Romanian 6X3 Type I bayonet and Egyptian made DDR AKM clone. This again shows the interchangeability of Kalashnikov weapons system.

NOTE: Of special interest it the way the small flat area behind the bayonet muzzle ring fits into the front of the cleaning rod bracket under the front sight base on the rifle. This fit helps stabilize the bayonet and keep it from rotating around the axis of the barrel. If you examine that flat area, you will notice that it is an integral machined part of the cross guard. It covers the top and sides of the blade tang as it protrudes through the cross guard.

Mike
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The next step for an AKM bayonet is the improved design and up grade of materials to the 6X4 Type II. The insulating plastic grip is now one piece and the metal pommel with the catch is now a separate piece. The scabbard body is now also insulating plastic with a metal wire cutter plate imbedded in the end. The method of attaching the bayonet remains the same as the 6X3. Same AKM as pictured before but with a DDR and stripped down Yugo 6X4 bayonet.

Mike
IMG_0119.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
IMG_0124.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The final step in the AKM series is the AKM series is the AK74 which introduced the smaller 5.45x39 cartridge in place of the 7.62x39. It also incorporated an extended muzzle device requiring different points for bayonet attachment. The pommel mount stud was moved forward and included in the FSB the muzzle device has a false barrel extension to engage the bayonet muzzle ring. Pictures are of Bulgarian and Polish muzzle devices and a Polish 6H4 bayonet.

When first introduced the AK74 rifles were intended to continue using the 6X3 and 6X4 bayonets already in use. It also should be observed that slightly redesigned FGB still has a secondary bayonet stud so that these bayonets can still be attached when the muzzle extension is removed

NOTE: A small groove is machined into the bottom of these muzzle extensions to engage the anti-twist lug on the bayonet cross guard.

Mike
IMG_0130.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

"It also should be observed that slightly redesigned FGB still has a secondary bayonet stud so that these bayonets can still be attached when the muzzle extension is removed "

This may be true on a Polish Tantal, even if it is the barrel diameter is too small and the bayonet will flop around, and that was not the intention. For a Bulgarian Ak74 or Russian AK74 this is not true because the section of the FSB where the brake attaches is 24 mm in diameter and the ring will not fit at all. The actual reason the lug was left on the GB was to mount under-barrel grenade launchers such as the Pallad (Polish) or BG15/GP25/GP30 Bulgarian/Russian.

Other than this one line, an outstanding write up and optical illustration.

Martin
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The next step in Kalashnikov bayonet development after the AK74 was the introduction of 6X5 Type III bayonet. This was a complete redesign incorporating new materials and construction. New blade profile with a spear point replacing the clipped "bowie" point. A one piece, molded in place, hilt/grip with the only exposed metal being the muzzle ring and the molded in metal pommel catch. These changes resulted in a lighter, easier to grip, more efficient bayonet/knife/wire cutter. However, the bayonet attachment points remain the same as the previous 6X3 and 6X4 bayonets. Pictures are of a Bulgarian muzzle device and a Bulgarian 6X5 bayonet.

NOTE: As usual with Kalashnikov weapons systems, interchangeability is imperative. For the most part, all the ComBloc AKM and AK74 rifle will mount most of the ComBloc 6X3 Type I, 6X4 Type II, and 6X5 Type III bayonets. Examples pictured below, even including a N. Korean AKM bayonet.

Mike
IMG_0128.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks Martin. I stand corrected. I have not done much research on the actual variations of the AK rifles and I have limited availability to the many variations. There are many different muzzle attachments from simple muzzle nuts/thread protectors to slant cut extensions, flash hiders and compensators, even Blank Fire Adapters. Those that use the common 14x1mm reverse threats usual allow the mounting of the AKM bayonets. But as you point out there are exceptions and the FGB stud would rarely be used to mount a bayonet, but it is possible, as it is the same dimensions as the one on the FSB and previous AKM variants. The muzzle ring fitting would be the restricting factor. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Excellent summary and guide. Much appreciated!
Brian
- Admin -
ilian

Post by ilian »

Could you try to fix your mofified pommel 6x3 bayonet on an AK74 please?
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Good idea. Here are the results. I only have access to 2 AK74s, Polish and Bulgarian. My modified East German AKM 6X3 Type I does NOT mount on either one. That eliminates these 2 possibilities and we still do not know what the modified E.G. and Hungarian 6X3 bayonets fit on. I also took pictures of a cut away 6X3 to show the same basic interference on these 2 AK74s. As a side note I believe a modified 6X3 bayonet with the pommel cut flat, (without the points), would fit on either one. Mike
IMG_0151 (3).JPG
IMG_0151 (3).JPG (115.83 KiB) Viewed 21707 times
IMG_0155 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_0154 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_0157 (2)_LI.jpg
IMG_0156 (2)_LI.jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

For comparison here are a couple of pictures of a stripped 6X3 on both AK74s. I believe that both would fit if the top of the pommel was ground/cut flat. Mike
IMG_0158 (2).JPG
IMG_0159 (2).JPG