Czech VZ58 Bayonet markings/numbers

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Czech VZ58 Bayonet markings/numbers

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some random makings found on the Czech VZ58 bayonets. The basic number is found on the left ricasso and consists of a letter and four numbers. The letters can be on the left, the center or on the right side. At one time it was believed that the placement of the letter indicated different bayonet variations. As the letter is found on the left on both the early Type I and the latest Type III the numbering system and the correlation to production history is unknown. The two or three digit numbers on the right side or bottom of the ricasso are thought to be unit or issue numbers. The pictures below are grouped by Type, I, II, & III. M.
Type I marking:
IMG_2601.JPG
IMG_2604.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Czech VZ58 Bayonet markings/numbers

Post by Mr. B. »

Type II markings:
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2603.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Type III markings:
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2602.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is a picture of the differences in the marking between the basic Type !, II, and III bayonets. The Type I has a letter preceding the 4 numbers. The Type II has the letter after the 4 numbers. The Type II has the letter in the center of the 4 Numbers. M.
IMG_0064.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

As a result of recent research and translation of several reference materials, new, information on this subject has become available. This will correct, revise and be in addition to the previous information and pictures posted.

Although the VZ58 rifles and bayonets were manufactured concurrently at the same factory, there is no connection between them in the numbering. The original forged Type I bayonets had no serial numbers. The only markings were a 2 digit number embossed on the left side of the ricasso. This was a manufacturing or process number for factory production / quality control records.

At some point in time after the start of production the military requested that a permanent embossed serial number be added for inventory control /issue purposes. This number was to be placed on the left side of the ricasso. It was to consist of 4 digits and a single letter, (both large and small letters were used). For example, 0001 - 9999, then A0001 - Z9999 followed by 0001A - 9999Z. The next progression was, 0A001 - 9Z999 with the letter migrating to the right each sequence. When, and if, number 999Z9 was used, the entire sequence would start over with 0001. This numbering system was applied to ALL VZ58 bayonet production regardless of production variations, (Type I-III), until the end of production.

At the same time, the embossed 2-3 digit factory control number was moved to the right side of the ricasso. This factory control number was eventually moved to the blade flat below the ricasso on later Type III production. There were very few other markings, (assembly, inspection, or proof etc.), and if present, they were hidden from view under the grips and of no use to collectors. Also note that there were no changes in, or additions to, markings as the bayonets were repaired or reworked. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great info, well done Mike.
Brian
- Admin -