Interesting VZ58 Variations

Czech VZ58 Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

porterkids

Interesting VZ58 Variations

Post by porterkids »

Dug out my VZ58 bayonets last night and took a few photos. Some of the more interesting pieces.
IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4540.jpg
IMG_4541.jpg
IMG_4542.jpg
IMG_4543.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Interesting VZ58 Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

I agree! Very interesting items! The presentation versions are seldom seen and must be ultra rare. The vinyl scabbards are also somewhat hard to find. I have a green one, but the gray one seems to be harder to find. I notice you have two. Please let me know if you'd be interested in selling or trading one. Nice white parade/dress scabbard! Like the presentation bayonets, rare and unusual, but not my cup of tea. On the other hand, the rare cut a way, (sectioned), training bayonet is right up my alley. I tend to be more logical/analytical and like to understand how the items are engineered and assembled. Thanks for sharing, Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Also find the grey ones very hard to find, only have spares of the regular green one, haven't seen any grey here.
LOVE that cutaway. I have a small collection of firearms cutaways, so that really appeals to me.
Bill, you have some awesome examples as always. Thanks for sharing.
Brian
- Admin -
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

VZ 58
I introduce here a revised VZ.58.

Defective areas of the blade and the rod were reground.
Then re-burnished.
New handles.
Acceptance stamp : two crossed swords on the ricasso.
Beste Grüsse.
Attachments
CS VZ 58 Überholt mit Abnahme (1).JPG
CS VZ 58 Überholt mit Abnahme (2).JPG
CS VZ 58 Überholt mit Abnahme (4).JPG
CS VZ 58 Überholt mit Abnahme (5).JPG
CS VZ 58 Überholt mit Abnahme (6).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Yes it appears to be an official authorized rework. See the post under Czechoslovakia : Czech VZ58 Bayonet 3 basic Variations. The short tang VZ58 Type I and II were replaced by a redesigned Type III with a full length tang. An attempt to reuse the obsolete Type I and II bayonets were reworked by welding on an extended tang and ground smooth. They were then refinished and new Type III grip panels riveted on. Only a small number appear to have been modified this way as it was soon discontinued. The only evidence of this modification are the Type I or II serial numbers and the grinding marks on the top and bottom of the tang. Positive proof would require removing the grip panels or maybe an xray of the hilt. Mike
Reworked CZ58 1.jpg
Reworked CZ58 1.jpg (45.89 KiB) Viewed 23339 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

The version, Type I, II or III, of the VZ58 bayonets can be determined by the serial numbers on the blade ricasso. The 4 digits followed by the letter indicate the bayonet above was originally a Type II wit a short tang. Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Yes, that was extended, definitely.

Such modified VZ 58 bayonets are very hard to find.
I think the effort was too big.
Attachments
DSCF8299.JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Two more VZ 58 Type II. Revised

Here wooden handles were used.
The holes for the nits are very deep.
I think that is a very early repair.
Attachments
DSCF8531.JPG
DSCF8525.JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Zwei weitere VZ 58 Typ II. Überarbeitet

Hier wurden Holzgriffe verwendet .
Die Bohrung für die Niten sind sehr tief.
Ich denke das ist eine sehr Frühzeitliche Reparatur.

Beste Grüsse
Attachments
VZ 58 Überholt (2).JPG
VZ 58 Überholt (3).JPG
VZ 58 Überholt (4).JPG
VZ 58 Überholt (5).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Gerhard, the very first bayonet at top of your post appears to be a very nice original VZ58 bayonet with a wood grip. The rest of the wood handled ones pictured may well be reproductions in my opinion. I say this as to my knowledge from references and sources in Czechoslovakia, The wood grips were only used on the early Type I bayonets and were soon discontinued. This was due to issues in manufacturing and installing the grips. Difficulty with fit and finish as well fragile and prone to splitting/ breaking during installation. They proved to have the same problems during issue and usage. The wood did not do well during weather changes, worked loose and were easily damaged and made unusable. They were discontinued in production and recalled and replaced during any inspection or rework. This information comes from an armorers manual. It is also safe to assume the a wood grip would rarely be used as a replacement during rework except perhaps on very early items before replacement grip panels became available. Even then the rivets would have been similar to the original ones. If all this information is correct the wood grips were never arsenal installed on the revised Type II bayonets and would not have been used on them during any subsequent rework.
The wood handles have recently been reproduced and available on eBay either separately or on reconditioned Type I and II bayonets. This has been done for the collectors market and are in my opinion reproductions. The wood grips are even offered in your choice of wood and finish on request. This appears to be the case with these bayonets as the rivets do not appear to be like the original ones installed by the arsenal. The original rivets appear consistent through out the production of the VZ58 bayonets. Note that the Type II bayonet with the resin grips above has only one rivet and is a result of a field or depot repair or rework. Even then the rivet is correctly install to specifications and appears like the factory ones.
Mike
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

Danke Mike für deinen sehr hilfreichen Komentar.
Die Dinger bringen mich zum Verzweifeln.
Ich weis rein gar nichts über die Tschechischen VZ.58 , des einen, weil ich mich mit den Dingern nicht großartig beschäftigt habe.
Und das kleine Heftchen von "Zdenek Benes Kid" ist auch nicht der Mercedes.
Fast alle VZ.58 habe ich auf Militaria-Börsen gekauft.
Ich habe nicht ohne Grund diese VZ.58 Ausgewählt.
Nun wer macht sich denn die enorme Arbeit solche VZ 58 Typ II mit Holzgriffen zu montieren ,wobei es doch bei den originalen VZ 58 Typ I schon erhebliche Probleme gab, und das für ein sehr geringen Endpreis? Das ist doch Bekloppt!
Ich habe da noch mehr solcher VZ 58 Varianten ausgewählt die ich hier noch vorstellen werde.
Beste Grüsse.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I am unable to come up with a name of the seller/dealer that listed them on eBay. However I did save a couple of pictures. You could install them your self or buy them already installed, drilled and riveted, on refinished VZ58 Type I and II bayonets. The second picture shows three VZ58 bayonets with different types of wood. The top one is a Type I with European Beech wood. The middle one is a Type II with Bloodwood and the bottom one is also a Type II, but with Curly Cherry wood.
VZ58 replacement wood handles. 3jpg.jpg
Last edited by Mr. B. on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

VZ58 replacement wood handles 3jpg (3).jpg
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

VZ.58 Typ I. Varianten
VZ.58 Typ I. Variante Kunstharz mit Holzspanfüllung
Attachments
Vz 58  Typ II (1).JPG
Vz 58  Typ II (6).JPG
Vz 58  Typ II (4).JPG
Vz 58  Typ II (3).JPG
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

VZ.58 Typ I. Variante Kunstharz mit Holzspanfüllung
Es wurde viel Experimentiert um beste Position der Befestigungssnieten zu finden.
Die Entgültige Platzierung ,VZ.58 Nr. beginnend 20,00mm am vorderen Ende der Griffschale im Abstand von 60,00mm

Beste Grüsse.
Attachments
Vz 58  Typ II (2) - Kopie.JPG
Vz 58  Typ II (5).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is another non-standard, reworked, repaired variation. Type III flat sided grip panels have been grafted onto a Type II short tang bayonet using a wood filler piece and three rivets in non-standard locations. The rivets appear to be similar to the official ones, but have been set with the wrong tools. Notice the crude appearance of the rivets. Mike
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG