Iraq AKM Type I Transitional Variation ?

Iraqi AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Iraq AKM Type I Transitional Variation ?

Post by Mr. B. »

I bought this bayonet and scabbard several years ago from a Gulf War veteran who brought it back the way he found it as a souvenir. I included it today as I was doing research on Hungarian bayonets. I'm not sure how to classify it except as an Iraqi mix-master. The bayonet is a typical Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I unmarked export bayonet. The scabbard however is an unmarked Iraqi Tabuk AKM Type II variation. The wrist strap appears to be Hungarian. The one piece hook hanger is typical and of unknown origin. Unusual and nice looking combination of bayonet and scabbard. Mike
IMG_0031 (1).JPG
IMG_0032 (1).JPG
IMG_0033 (1).JPG
ilian

Re: Iraq AKM Type I Transitional Variation ?

Post by ilian »

For me it's an export hungarian AKM I in a Tabuk scabbard with a east german frog (i guess), i have one like this.

Nice bayonet!

Regards.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Actually I believe the hanger, or frog as you will, is Romanian not East German. Note the flat D-ring and the snap hook is flat backed, plus the dark brown smooth leather.
I always like it when there is a provenance.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I don't think the hanger is DDR, nothing about it matches. I believe it most closely matches with the ones found on reworked Russian / Bulgarian ones rather than the Romanian ones. The leather is very thick and stiff. Mike
ilian

Post by ilian »

i did a mistake sorry, the same frog that I own was on reworked russian bayonet... Sorry about that :hail:

i am going to take some pics of some frog i have like yours to compare.

Regards.

Edit :
but i am pretty sure to have seen it on a E. german bayonet once :shrug:

Edit² :

This one is light brown but i have already seen more darker like yours.

Milspeer picture from his blog.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

It could indeed be East German, very similar at first sight. But I still think it most closely resembles the Russian style hangers. Here are some close ups and comparison to an early East German AKM 6X3 Type I with a tan hanger from my collection. The points of difference are most obviously the snap hook and the finish on the metal parts. The hanger on the Iraqi scabbard has corrosion on the metal parts. On the DDR hanger the metal parts are a higher quality of metal and finish. The DDR rivets are slightly larger and more domed. The DDR hangers are usually a smooth natural tan whereas this one is darker brown textured color and is a much thicker leather. Mike
IMG_0014 (2).JPG
IMG_0013 (2).JPG
IMG_0012 (2).JPG
IMG_0004 (1).JPG
IMG_0002 (3).JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A few more pictures of the hanger differences. Mike
IMG_0005 (2).JPG
IMG_0011 (2).JPG
IMG_0010 (3).JPG
IMG_0009 (3).JPG
IMG_0008 (3).JPG
ilian

Post by ilian »

The first one is east german:

the second is unknown (hook missing):

And an other unknown frog (reworked)

Regards.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Great pictures! Yes, after seeing them it definitely could be DDR with a replaced hook. That is the problem with hangers. Too many variables to be able to identify them correctly. The hangers and components could be interchanged between the ComBloc countries from the beginning and easily switched out at anytime since. Thanks for the posts and pictures. Mike
pwcosol

Post by pwcosol »

A few years back I had decent Iraqi Tabuk 6x4 with mismatched scabbard. The bayonet was the typical orange color but the scabbard was the same dark red pattern as shown in the initial post. Let a Tabukless fellow collector have it when I upgraded to my first minty, matched example. Don't recall if it had a suspension or not...