Yugoslavian AKM Belt Hangers & Wrist Straps

Yugoslavian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Yugoslavian AKM Belt Hangers & Wrist Straps

Post by Mr. B. »

It was brought to my attention that this forum had no pictures or information regarding Yugo frog and straps so here goes. As far as I know there is only one standard original issue hanger. It is a natural tan or brown leather "T" style snap hook hanger. The ones I've seen all have had a unique brass stud on the hilt loop. They have a natural metal folded bracket secured by two open end rivets. There are two different sizes of rivets with small and larger domed heads. The "D" ring is unique also. It uses smaller diameter wire and is in more of an elliptical shape than other countries. The snap hook is unique and has fine serrations/groves on the inside.

As a side note Iraq also used the Yugo hangers and straps, or copies of them, on their Tabuk AKM bayonets and scabbards.

The first pictures are standard Yugo hangers. Mike
IMG_0544.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0536.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0541.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Yugoslavian AKM Belt Hangers & Wrist Straps

Post by Mr. B. »

During the Balkan Conflicts in the 1990s the different fractions/countries used a lot of Yugoslavian bayonets and scabbard as well as those from other ComBloc countries. However there seems to have been a shortage of hangers. After the fighting ended there were lots of hand made or small lots of non-standard hangers available. They used all sorts of metal parts and methods of assembly in different combinations. Because they all or most became available as "Yugoslavian", that's how the seemed to be cataloged.

This first group does seem to have the Yugo brass hilt loop stud and two of them have Yugo snap hooks. One is without a metal bracket and two have blacken sheet metal one. The "D" rings are larger in size and rounded. one has a large black round wire snap hook. The small squared ring was originally a standard USA /NATO field gear, (pack strap), snap hook assembly. Mike
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0542.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is another group of variations I refer to as Yugo ersatz hangers. This group is without metal brackets. Two are sewn together and one is riveted. Two have snap fasteners on the hilt loop, one has a non-Yugo stud. All three have a large "D" ring that is more squared than the previous ones. All three had Yugo style snap hooks. At one time I had 15-20 of these ersatz hangers including several sizes and styles of the USGI pack strap hook assemblies. I've sold or traded most of them away over the years, Wish I'd have kept more pictures. Does anyone else have any different ones to post pictures of?
At one period of time 15-20 years ago you could by boxes/bags of 25-50 used "Yugo" frogs and straps very cheap. They came from very used, (dirty -oil -grease soaked), to new and unused. All had an assortment of these ersatz ones mixed in.
Mike
IMG_0546.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is what a selection of Yugoslavian AKM wrist straps looks like. I bought a large lot of new and used ones a few years ago, complete with buckles. They came in a sealed bag covered with dirt, oil and grease. II washed them in Woolite and they came out nice. I was amazed at the different colors, fabric weave and widths. Also different shapes and sizes of buckles and the rivets. Some rivets were black, copper-brass(?) and bright metal, some had washers some didn't. Note that the Iraqi AKM Tabuks used these same straps.
Mike
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Sorry about that last picture. I was having some issues with downloading pictures and couldn't get it removed. I will post some more detailed pictures concerning the wrist strap variations. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some closeup pictures showing some of the differences in the Yugo wrist straps. The 1st two show the difference in strap width, narrow vs wide front and back. The last two show the different rivet head size. Also note the differences in fabric and weave. The rear of the rivets are typical hollow style with small washers. Mike
IMG_0010.JPG
IMG_0011.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few more close ups. The 1st two show fabric color variations from light grey/green to dark green. The dark green ones seem softer than the light color fabric ones. The next two pictures are of a different unusual rivet style used without a washer. They also have a larger rivet head as compared with the more standard one shown for comparison. The last picture is of a couple with black headed rivets which to me are unusual as well. Mike
IMG_0014.JPG
IMG_0017.JPG
IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

While digging out the wrist straps I also found a different hanger that I found with some surplus military gear from the Balkans. The hanger was in with others that were supposedly Yugo. The size, metal hinge, rivets, "D" ring and snap hook all look Yugo to me. The fabric is synthetic weave green with black specs and it has a snap closer on the hilt loop. Anyone else seen one like this or have any ideas? Mike
IMG_0015.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Theater made would be my bet.

Martin