Gray Hanger

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Gray Hanger

Post by MDIvie »

This is a Romanian Gray Hanger that I picked up at the Market Hall Show this weekend. It is slightly different than the gray hanger previously posted on the AK Forum in that the rivets are black on this hanger vs. chrome on the other hanger that was posted. Also, the thread on this hanger is gray. Another dealer that is a friend of mine had this. When he bought it, it was attached to a black East German AKM Type II (6x4) bayonet. I traded a standard East German Hanger for it. When I compare this to East German hangers, it is the same color. I also have a matching color wrist strap.

The inspection stamp on this indicates it was made in 1999.

Based on what I have observed on a lot of Romanian rifles imported to the US, I have been under the distinct impression that the Romanians bought a bunch of left over DDR AK parts, materials, and tooling from the Germans after unification. I hypothesize they also ended up with stocks of leather from the DDR and these are made from that leather. As Romania (along with Bulgaria and other countries) supplied a lot of material for the Third Balkans War (1991-2001) that would be a likely candidate for the destination for this hanger as well as many of the other odd hangers we see.

MDI
Attachments
RomGrayHangerFc.jpg
RomGrayHangerBc.jpg
Mr. B.

Re: Gray Hanger

Post by Mr. B. »

Nice find and a very interesting theory! We do see a lot of DDR bayonets and parts in various places and in use in different countries, so quite interesting to speculate. From hangers and hooks to insulators and entire scabbards. I've seen black rubber insulators with DDR numbers on all sorts of other Type I scabbard. Complete scabbards and hangers of both Type I and II variations with the so called N. Korean/Vietnamese bayonets. Complete Type II units renumbered and used in Bulgaria and mixed in with their reworks. Plus all sorts of combinations found in the Middle East, Balkans, and Afganistan etc.. Like the old saying goes, "Anything is possible .....". :D M.
croblade

Post by croblade »

Interesting hanger. Germany first tried to reuse old DDR bayonets supplies (G36 bayonets, Suhl knife, police knife) but it is obvious they sold most of it. Probably they just didn't need thousands of G36 bayonets, Shul or police knives so they sold DDR supplies to third parties. Look how many DDR equipment you may find in Iraq, Syria, Libya, Nigeria... Also tons of DDR equipment come here during Homeland War.
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

One of the very obvious Romanian/DDR connections is the imported Romanian AK's that are configured like DDR Wiegers.

Mr. B., I bleive not only the scabbards but also the blades for the Vietnamese bayonets were made in the DDR. BTW, I have a friend that does business in Vietnam and he says he saw these bayonets for sell in a tourist shop in what used to be Saigon.

Croblade, I definitely find it interesting how much stuff was sent to the Blakans during the war between 1991 and 2001. It seems like a thriving "cottage industry" developed in Romania and Bulgaria making AK pouches and other things for that war. I also no that there was a lot of stuff sent in from Pakistan and other middle east countries to the Muslim factions. Also, I have seen several hundred Soviet AKM's at a business in Germany that were bought as surplus from one of the Balkan countries (likely Serbia but the owner wouldn't tell which country).

Sorry for digressing a bit.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

MDI. I really appreciate the grey Romy hanger you acquired and posted. Very interesting pictures and theories worth pursuing. I would like to have one like it in my collection, especially with the possible DDR connection. Please let me know if you ever find another one for sale or trade. I would also be interested in seeing and/or acquiring a blue and a green one as well. I've seen pictures of them, but not in person.

Also check out my recent posts on the Vietnam AKM Wire Cutter bayonets in response to your and my references to them.

Also in response to all the surplus DDR bayonets and accessories discussed, I posted a reply with pictures to your original Bulgarian Black Painted post. Interested in what you think of the one with three different sets of matched numbers. DDR, Bulgy and ????? M.
Zandman77

Post by Zandman77 »

I picked this one up about 2 weeks ago appears to be the same kind of hanger???
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Very nice! I'm still looking for a gray and a green one. I have since seen several other gray ones with minor differences, ie. rivets & thread.
Also notice different shades of gray from light to dark. I have also seen pictures of gray wrist straps and would like to find one as well. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thought I'd share. I finally found a decent grey leather hanger in California. It's a little different than the others posted here as it has bright rivets. The wrist strap came from Ohio and is in new condition. In normal room lighting the grey strap seems to be a close match for the hanger. However under photo flash it seems to have a green tint as can be seen in the pictures. I would still like to find a hanger with the green finish if anyone knows of one for sale. M.
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG