Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonets & Scabbards

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonets & Scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

Romania produced and issued AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards from 1963 through 1989. For the most part the standard issue ones are easily recognized by their bulbous rounded pommels which are unique and differentiates them from the other ComBloc countries. The standard issue bayonets were also issued with a unique style of hanger which featured a wrap around method of attachment to the hanger. The exception to this are some small lots of the early production from 1963 to 1966 which had flat pommels and used the more common one and two piece snap hook hangers. The flat pommel bayonets are covered under a different topic. The standard issue bayonets are found with matching numbers which include either two or three preceding letters and four numbers which match the serial numbers on the rifles. The rifles also include the date of manufacture in the serial number allowing us to date the bayonets as well. There are lists of numbers available from different sources. There are also standard bayonets with only one letter and four numbers These are exclusively issued with the PSL 7.62x54 sniper rifles made from 1974 through 1980. The PSL bayonets and scabbards are covered under another topic.
Below are pictures of a few of the different variations that can be found in the Romy AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards. The basic bayonets and scabbards are all the same. However the differences in the materials and colors of the grip panels, release buttons, rubber insulators, hangers and wrist straps are seemingly endless. This is compounded by rework, repair, replacement and reissue plus being issued and used by various other countries, particularly in the middle east. Many bayonets and scabbards have been mixed over the years.
Last edited by Mr. B. on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B.

Re: Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I Bayonets & Scabbards

Post by Mr. B. »

These are a random sampling of the Romy AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets and scabbards. The 1st picture is of some of the flat pommel bayonets. The rest are the more common bulbous pommel ones. Note the different color rubber insulators, the grip colors and materials and the different styles, colors and materials of hangers.
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

A couple more pictures of later issue bayonets. More details to follow as time permits. M.
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I will start out with some examples of different bayonets that not actual production variations, but are a result of rework and replacement parts. On these 1st three bayonets the grip panels have been replaced with a different shape and material than the original panels. They vary in color from yellow/orange to dark red and are solid material with out reinforcement particals. On one the release button has also been replaced with a non-standard one. These bayonets can also be identified as rework due to the recontoured re-sharpened blades and the original serial numbers removed, (ground off). Two have replacement un-numbered scabbards and one bayonet and scabbard has hand etched matching re-issue numbers. M.
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0433.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0439.JPG
IMG_0440.JPG
Last edited by Mr. B. on Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures of reworked bayonets and scabbards. Some retain matching original numbers with just the grip panels and possible other parts replaced or repaired. Some have had damaged or lost scabbards replaced with un-numbered replacements. There seems to be a loss of consistency on the re-numbering of the bayonets and scabbards.
IMG_0435.JPG
IMG_0436.JPG
IMG_0438.JPG
IMG_0441.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are a few inspected, reworked and re-numbered bayonets and scabbards with the original grips still in place. Note the different placement and orientation of the new hand etched numbers. Note that some still retain the original matching numbers and may have just been reissued. The 1st one has the original numbers lightly lined out and new numbers on the opposite side.
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0452.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0454.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

For the most part the basic standard issue Romanian AKM 6X3 Type 1 bayonets and scabbards are pretty much the same. The metal parts of the bayonets and scabbards are all pretty much the same. The majority of the grip panels are a dark reddish brown in color, molded with lots of filler particles. The scabbards all have the same construction and finish. In addition they can be identified by the bare metal weld on the back of the cutter plate. There are occasional differences in the color and composition of the grip panels in different production series. The bayonet and scabbard below came from Iraq and have no serial numbers. It is as found and has not been cleaned, note the desert sand. The grip panels have lots of visible wood chips, (beaver barf?), molded in. Whether these grips were from a certain production series of a result of usage and exposure to the elements is unknown.
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0448.JPG
IMG_0447.JPG
IMG_0446.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are some additional Romy grip color and composition examples that are encountered. They seem to be found in certain groups of production, note the serial numbers. They are brown to yellow/brown in color and appear to have different types of filler material than others.
IMG_0457.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Perhaps this would be a good place to mention the variations to be found in the Rubber Insulators on the Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I scabbards. The insulators are the standard style with no known markings and questionable quality control compared to those from other ComBloc countries. However they are very interesting in the colors and shades produced over the years. They are easily damaged and subject to wear and tear. They are easily and frequently replaced so there is little if any consistency in their issue and use. The colors found are all shades of the gray scale, from white to black and pale yellow to dark brown. Under closer examination and comparison, tints of green, blue and red can be found. Note that some of the yellow/tan ones are similar to the Hungarian ones and the blue/gray ones are similar to the Russian ones. It is very possible that the Romanian ones may have been imported/exchanged from other countries at times. Another note, the "red" ones are rare and vary from pinkish to dark red and are usually made of a softer, more gummy material. I have attempted to display a variety of the insulators in my collection so rather than post separate pictures please refer to the pictures above. Mike