Type I Flat Pommel Variation

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Type I Flat Pommel Variation

Post by Mr. B. »

This is an early Romanian Type I (6X3) with the flat side pommel. It is also different from most Romanian Type I bayonets in that it has the two piece, two snap hook hanger and a black painted scabbard. M.
Attachments
IMG_2437.JPG
IMG_2433.JPG
IMG_2435.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2429.JPG
MDIvie

Re: Type I Flat Pommel Variation

Post by MDIvie »

I have the same hanger on two standard Romanian AKM bayonets. Both are early serial number ranges (AL and BG).

I have read a lot on the AK Forum that you have posted. Would love to have one of these early knife and scabbard set ups.

MDI
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Ditto. Also still need one of these flat sided pommel variants.
Thanks for sharing
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

There are actually two different versions of these flat pommel bayonets. They differ in the shape of the pommel and the ridge around the catch button. The one I'll call an earlier version has a GH xxxx serial number. Although the serial prefix does not necessarily indicate age. I call it earlier as it is more used/aged in appearance as well as being different than the other serial numbers associated with the flat pommel, i.e. RS & ST. Also note that the GH has a scabbard that is not painted. Below is my GH and an ST for comparison.
Attachments
IMG_2444.JPG
IMG_2442.JPG
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2440.JPG
IMG_2439.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

here's one last picture of the left side of the pommels. The ridge around the catch button is round in shape on the GH and more squared off on the latter version. The small ridge on the opposite side is also a different shape. M.
Attachments
IMG_2443.JPG
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Something else to notice on flat pommel Romanian bayonets as well as the other types. Observe the wear marks on the sides of the cross guards. If there are semi elliptical marks on one or both sides one can tell if that bayonet has been worn with a one or two piece snap hook hanger and not the wraparound style ones. I have six or seven flat pommels in my possession and all of them have had the snap hook wear marks. Hanger are notorious for being switched around, but this is one way to see if the hanger/bayonet combination is "correct". M
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

My apologies. This is a correction from the previous post. I should read, " I have HAD six or seven flat pommels in my possession ...."
I presently only have the two shown in the pictures. They were retained to represent the two different versions. The others were sold or traded to other collectors, a couple of which are members of this forum.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I'm not sure where to post this information. It's here because the two piece, two hook hanger is associated with the flat pommel early Romanian AKM Type Bayonets and scabbards. It seems the lower part of the hanger with the hooks is issued with the bayonet & scabbard as they have been found packaged that way. The top belt loop is more difficult to find as it is issued with the leather belt. Below is pictured a Romanian military belt with the top loop of the hanger as issued. Mike
Romy belt with hanger (2).jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here is a group picture of Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I Flat Pommel bayonets and scabbards. These show the black painted scabbards, wear marks from the snap hook hangers on the cross guards. The two different style hangers, (1 & 2 piece), and several different serial number groups.
IMG_0425.JPG
ilian

Post by ilian »

Superb Mike! I'm still looking for a 2 pieces hanger :/
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

AK bayonet collecting has been slow lately and i have been curious about the Romanian AKM 6X3 bayonets with the flat sided pommels. These bayonets are similar to the AKM 6X3, 6H3 bayonets produced and issued by the other ComBloc countries. In 1963 Romania designed and started producing a unique variation with grip panels ending with a thicker, bulbous pommel shape. This wider pommel also required the release catch to be lengthened to protrude past the wider grips. This was done by machining a longer shaft and possible a longer button as well. This bayonet with the bulbus pommel was produced continuously until superseded by the AKM 6X4 bayonets.

However, for some unknown reason the Romanians also intermittently produced batches of the more standard bayonets with the flat, narrow sided pommel. These bayonets were made in small amounts from 1964 through 1966. They not only had the narrow pommels, but the scabbards were painted black and they appear to have been issued with either a one or two piece snap hook hangers. Mike
Romanian 6X3 std release catch 5 (2).jpg
Romanian 6X3 std release catch 3 (2)_LI.jpg
Romanian 6X3 std release catch 3 (2)_LI.jpg (39.81 KiB) Viewed 13243 times
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

When the Romanian AKM rifles were manufactured they were marked with the year of production and assigned an alpha numeric serial number. These numbers consisted of 2 or 3 letters and 4 numbers. The letter and number combinations were not necessarily in alphabetic order, but in rotation. The bayonets were manufactured along with the rifles and both the bayonets and the scabbards were serial number matched with the rifles. There are lists available of the production dates and serial numbers assigned to the rifles that enable us to date the matching serial numbers on the bayonets.
Here is a list of the confirmed production of the Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets with the flat pommels. This is the year of production and serial number. Mike

1964 DE 2136
1964 FG 0298
1965 GH 2891
1965 HI 2266
1965 IJ 4830, IJ 3876
1965 JL 1100, JL 0061, JL 0141
1965 BA 862, BA 933
1966 RS 2319
1966 ST 3792, ST 1041, ST 2315, ST 4360, ST 1773, ST 1914, ST 2350, ST O786
1966 TU 3946
1966 UV 0958
PR 4792
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

These flat pommel bayonets are very unique and a bit of a mystery. They are early production and limited in number. They were manufactured intermittently during the same time period that the standard bulbus pommels bayonets were made. It is unknown why they would change over to manufacture the flat pommels using different molded grips and release catches. The scabbards also are painted and different hangers issued. These bayonets and scabbards appear to be higher quality items than the standard issue ones. Were they made for special contracts or special units? Maybe for parade or dress functions or symbols of rank? Does anyone have any information or ideas about what and why they were made?
I have started sub-collections of both these Romanian flat pommel bayonets and the PSL bayonets. As always, interested in information about them and buying, selling and trading them. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

These are the Romanian AKM 6X3 Type I flat pommel bayonets currently in my collection. Attempting to find a representative samples of each production series. Mike
Romanian Flat Pommel Bayonet Collection 8-25-20 (2).jpg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are pictures showing the reason I believe that the flat pommel bayonets and scabbards were issued with the one or two piece snap hook hangers rather than the standard wrap around style hanger. Notice the circular wear marks on the side of the cross guards from contact with the snap hooks. Almost all the flat pommels I have seen have thes wear marks on one or both sides of the cross guards. The only exception I have found is a couple of like new ones that appear to be unissued or worn. Mike
Romanian AKM 6X3 flat pommel variation 4.jpg
Romanian AKM 6X3 flat pommel variation 5.jpg
Romanian AKM 6X3 flat pommel variation 6.jpg
Romanian AKM 6X3 flat pommel variation 7.jpg
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

I have flat pommel serial number ST0786. And I have an un-serial numbered of the other type. Th unnumbered knife's stop lug doesn't have the factory logo on it and its face is not flattened and still shows the mold ridge from casting.

Martin
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Adding to this topic my two examples. They would then be a 1965 production. They appear quite unused with single piece leather hangers.
Attachments
76CB5FF7-92E4-4926-91E1-FF2E998469EF.jpeg
3F431FE5-30E4-4969-B203-EEDEFC1FEE74.jpeg
3F56E9A9-B621-4184-AEFC-EC781C6A2E6C.jpeg
A7FD53A1-4CFD-4E76-ABE1-18A55BF26743.jpeg
7D8CAAC4-789F-464D-A6BD-E8268546A3E2.jpeg
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Super nice! Original and like NEW with consecutive numbers! Very nice find. For me these two set the standards for the flat pommel bayonets. Also note that the BA series is unique as all the ones confirmed have only three numbers. Probably a little more scarce that the others?
Mike
Dragur2791

Post by Dragur2791 »

Thanks Mike,
The flat pommels sure are quite interesting!!
mill_speer

Post by mill_speer »

If I see it correctly, you have the two variants that Mike mentioned in his post from December 19, 2015.
I would also be interested in the Cigur logos on the base behind the retaining ring and all the acceptance stamps.
Very nice bayonets.