Romanian Type II Bayonets

Romanian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

porterkids

Romanian Type II Bayonets

Post by porterkids »

Appears I missed the boat on this one. Arms of America had Type II bayonets the other day for $99.95. Matching numbers, not South African contract.
Mr. B.

Re: Romanian Type II Bayonets

Post by Mr. B. »

Me too! I was away on assignment. Seems there were 20 with matching numbers, but arsenal marks only on bayonets. Also a few more with arsenal marks on both bayonets and scabbards $399.95. I wonder if more will eventually show up. More of the S.A. contract ones seem to be popping up too!? Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The SA contract ones are only coming out to those with contacts in Special Forces willing to steal them. Less said about that the better. I haven't seen any new ones come out for quite a while, but then I don't have dodgy sources either.
AOA imported AIMS parts kits from an armory they bought out. 99% of those kits came with the "transitional" bayonet which is the Type II handle and Type I scabbard. (Btw, those are still rare, and people should be grabbing them)
As they went through them, every now and then a Type II popped out. At first most of those went to people just buying parts kits. But after that, they found about 20 of them with the Cugir logo on the handle and a letter mold mark on the scabbard. Those they sold for regular price, as they decided that those with the Cugir logo on the handle and scabbard would be worth more.
There were about 8 of those found. All sold...both types. And since that armory/arsenal is now complete, they aren't expecting any more.
It was a mad frantic thing, and a lucky break for those who were fast. Hopefully some of those will find their way back into the market.
Extensive research needs to be done to see the relationship between the letter mold marks and the Cugir logo ones.
Btw, most of the parts kits are around 1990....close to the SA dates of 1988....so this model was from a round that time.
Brian
- Admin -
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

I bought two of the double marked bayonets. One light color and one dark color. I wonder who else got the double makred bayonets and how many there actually were including ones sold with kits.
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Mine arrived. One nice one with Cugir logo on handle and scabbard, one poor one with logo on handle but nothing on scabbard (really beaten up) and a few with letter on scabbard and logo on handle. The letter's I have are all "C" but I think I saw others with different letters?
The big question concerns the letters of course. Did they produce these before going to the Cugir logo, after, or in a different factory?
I would have assumed "C" stood for Cugir, but I think I saw B somewhere.
They really didn't care what handle and what scabbard they grabbed when they issued these. My handle is much lighter than my scabbard (or vice versa..will check) but they are matching numbers. So they likely either had them made in different factories, or they had barrels of each and just grabbed.
These are a very interesting variation of the AK bayonet, and I hope to delve more into them.
Pics to follow as a get a chance.
Brian
- Admin -