Black Grip Hungarian

Hungarian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

MDIvie

Black Grip Hungarian

Post by MDIvie »

Any one here ever seen a black grip Hungarian bayonet?
Brian
Site Admin

Re: Black Grip Hungarian

Post by Brian »

Nope.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Only the one I painted with model airplane paint back in the '80s for a display. It had been crudely sharpened on a grinder, but looked cool in a blacked out scabbard. This was before the black DDR bayonets and scabbards became available. M.
porterkids

Post by porterkids »

I've never seen a black-gripped Hungarian bayonet.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Why the question MDI ? For that matter, how about an Hungarian AK47 bayonet, or AKM 6X4 Type II ? As far as I know Hungarian AK bayonets are all basically AKM 6X3 Type I. Two major variations and several minor ones. The early version with the marbled grip material and matching numbers. The later versions with the solid color grips and no numbers. Minor differences such as numbers of saw teeth on the blade and shades of grip color. Some unmarked and others marked with various export markings, I.E. "Made in Hungary" or "FEG". A few others put together with different straps and hangers for an export contract. Also note the difference between the way the grip screw holes are filled between the old and new grip versions. The early grips have plastic plugs or covers secured with clear glue/epoxy. The later versions appear to be filled with a semi-liquid material like plastic wood and smoothly dimpled. See picture below. Mike
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Here are the Hungarian AKM 6X3 Type I bayonets I display in my collection. L. - R., Early version followed by three with variations in color, teeth and markings. The last one, unmarked, is from an export contract. I will be glad to post close-up or comparison pictures on request. Mike
IMG_0001 (3).JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Mike,

A friend has what he believes is a black handled Hungarian. I think it is an East German stuck in a Hungarian scabbard or maybe a Hungarian with replaced grips. I need him to send some good close up pictures of the bayonet.
BTW, I have an export Hungarian that is taken apart. It also has the plastic plugs under the filler.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

I would be very interested in what you find out about your friend's black Hungarian. As usual you are correct. There were plastic plugs under the smooth dimpled epoxy. However they are not visible unless you remove the sealant. On the early Hungarian military bayonet the sealant is clear and you can see the plastic discs. Here are pictures of the Hungarian grips I painted black and later removed and used for testing. I didn't want to perpetuate a fraud/fake. Also pictured are interiors of 6X3 grip panels. Top to bottom: Romanian, (used), Russian, (new), East German, (new), and Hungarian, (used). Mike
IMG_0002 (2).JPG
IMG_0001 (4).JPG
MDIvie

Post by MDIvie »

Very nice demonstration of the 6X3 grips.
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

MDIvie, I believe we may have found your friend's black gripped Hungarian. Refer to: Board Index - AK Bayonet Discussion - RE: Commercial Bayonet. Mike