Egyptian AKM Type I Scabbard Variations

Egyptian AK Bayonets

Moderator: Mr. B.

Mr. B.

Egyptian AKM Type I Scabbard Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

The Egyptians only manufactured AKM Type II bayonets and Type I scabbards on machinery and technology provided by the Soviet Union, (USSR). The Egyptian scabbards are different from most, if not all, of those made else where. They use a stamped steel cutter plate installed in the scabbard body with a small filler piece. Most of the other ComBloc countries used a one piece, machined cutter plate. The scabbard body also is unique as it has lots of lengthwise seriations and a visual seam. This raised seam is usually on the back side near one of the rivets. Unlike other countries that used seamless, extruded tubing to form the body, the Egyptians used welded tubing, hence the seam. M.
IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2697.JPG
IMG_2698.JPG
Mr. B.

Re: Egyptian AKM Type I Scabbard Variations

Post by Mr. B. »

More pictures of differences in scabbard body and cutter plate between Egyptian and other countries. M.
IMG_2699.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG
IMG_2701.JPG
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Great info, thanks
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Looks like these pictures got lost. Here are some thing to look for on an Egyptian AKM Type I scabbard. Most have a black or dark grey roughly molded rubber insulator. Some of the earlier ones may be a light beige or gray and are better quality. It is possible that these insulatiors may have been imported from Russia or other ComBloc sources. The scabbards are somewhat crudely made and of poor quality. The bodies are made of flattened welded seam metal tube. The bodies often have many ridges and the welded seam can be seen. The cutter plates are stamped metal and installed with a filler piece to seal the bottom. The rivets are left rounded and protruding. Below are picture of three different time frames of the Egyptian scabbards. Arabic numbered brown grip. English numbered blue/black grip, Unmarked blue/black grip. Mike
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

You deleted the original posts with pics for some reason :D
Restored the post.
Brian
- Admin -
Mr. B.

Post by Mr. B. »

Thanks Brian. I took a bunch of new pictures as I have lost most of these old ones from time to time due to PC issues/failures. Mike